Search results

1. petergunn

Carrier 58SS replacement?

We have an old Carrier 58SS in our apartment and the pan below the A-coil has split leaking water. The unit is very old so we'd like to replace it. Would a Carrier 58CVA be a suitable replacement? The unit is contained in a utility closet beside the water heater so dimensions are important...
  2. petergunn

Convert dryer vent to range hood vent?

Yes, 4" metal duct. I'm on the top floor and travels what looks like 4-5 feet vertically through the roof. I found a PDF online for that suggests the hood is capable of handling up to 140ft of duct (with 10 feet deducted per 90 degree bend) but requires 6" diameter ducting. So I guess I'm...
  3. petergunn

Convert dryer vent to range hood vent?

I recently replaced my gas dryer with an electric condensing washer/dryer combo unit so I have an external vent (3.5" vertical) in my apartment that I no longer use. Assuming it was appropriately cleaned could I use it to vent fumes from a range hood? I believe the current recirculating...
  4. petergunn

220v dryer out conversion to 110v?

Thanks for the reply. One 110v outlet will be fine. Just need to find an electrician now :)
  5. petergunn

220v dryer out conversion to 110v?

Hi, I have recently replaced my old electric Washer/Dryer combo that ran off a dedicated 200v circuit with a 2 pole 30amp breaker and single NEMA 14-30R outlet to a new energy efficient LG condensing Washer/Dryer unit that requires a 110v 12amps through a regular NEMA 5-15R outlet and I would...
  6. petergunn

Circulator pump leak

No luck with PSE&G - they confirmed that the milky white liquid was oil & water mix and said we need a plumber to repair the leak probably by replacing the pump seal. Got a quick quote from a local plumber - $250 for the pump seal + $110/hr labor - and it will probably require 3hrs to drain...
  7. petergunn

Circulator pump leak

I have an ageing gas boiler (circa 1951) that heats water for a 2-zone house - one zone is radiators and is working fine since I bled them all, the other is baseboard heating and while it seems to be heating fine but there is a small leak (intermittent drip when pump running) from the old Bell &...
  8. petergunn

Modern Toilet Diner

FYI... http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/food_taiwan_toilet_dc slideshow is hilarious - anyone recognize the models? Sorry if its a repost - been away for a while :)
  9. petergunn

Google TiSP & new GFlush mechanism

Google has launched a new internet connection system that leverages your existing inhome plumbing... http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html Looks pretty interesting. Does anyone know if this is compatible with the Toto Drake? Apparently they have been working on this for sometime...
  10. petergunn

Toto mods

There seems to be a good 2 or 3 inches of headroom inside the tank of my Toto Drake, has anyone ever modified the system to provide a larger more powerful flush? Not sure if the valve can be screwed up much higher. If that were possible or it could be replaced with a standard mechanism and...
  11. petergunn

Kohler Rialto replacement

Success Install was successful! Thanks to everyone for the help. Stinky old Rialto from 1984... Flange with old wax seal... Flange after some cleaning... as you can see whoever installed it didnt rotate it to the right angle - still just enough for the bolts to grab and keep the...
  12. petergunn

How to be neat with Silicone Caulk?

back of fingernail Warning: Advice from DIY Newbie For some reason I like caulking. Ive caulked all around the windows in my house, around tubs, showers, etc. even filled in the cracks in the baseboards and coving. Now, while I'm probably using the wrong caulks in the wrong places I have...
  13. petergunn

Random Intermittent Toilet Flush Problem

borescope Or if you have access to a borescope (flexible fiber optic inspection scope with a built in light) then you could just have a look round the bend. The 36 inch ones cost ~$200.
  14. petergunn

space for 2 > You should be able to fit two or three of them in your Civic You're pretty good at this :) Picked up the drake yesterday. My civic is a 2dr non-hatchback. Bowl wouldn't fit on the passenger seat so I put that in the back seat, tank+seat in the front. Could probably fit 2 at...
  15. petergunn

Worlds biggest toilet

Just noticed this: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=118368&t=k&om=1 Imagine the flush on that :) ... and paper...
  16. petergunn

Stray Cats!!!

Keeping stray cats away http://www.spcaonline.com/catsinyard.PDF From experience (of a friend) I can vouch for cats hating the smell of citrus fruit - drop some rind scapings from lemons and the like around the area you want them to leave and they wont go near it for weeks. If you really...
  17. petergunn

Alternatives I guess I can use a TOTO Ultramax or Drake since I have a 12" rough-in and dont have a height restriction? The stronger flush would be nice. Im thinking of transporting it via the roof rack of my Honda Civic - does the 2 part Drake come in seperate boxes? What are the dimensions?
  18. petergunn

Elongated vs. Round Bowl

Performance difference No idea how true this is: "Q: Is there a performance difference between the round front and elongated front toilets? A: Although manufacturers push the idea that there is not a difference in performance between round front and elongated toilets, the most recent round of...
  19. petergunn

Supreme on its way... Thanks for the info. Ive ordered a Supreme. I'll post a follow up after my installation. Does it come with bolts and a hose or do I need to pick those up when I purchase the wax ring?
  20. petergunn

Higher tank models Thanks for the quick response. The Supreme looks nice. It might be a little less than 2 inches gap behind the current tank (maybe 1 inch with the lid on) - how much extra space does the Supreme need? I cant find exact specs for the Rialto and I'm in a different location -...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks