Search results

1. philp

Fireplace removal

I'm removing a gas fireplace as its an eyesore and we never use it. I've turned off the gas from a stop valve outside. Can anyone tell me if I need a certified gas fitter to cap the gas line or can I do it myself? (I'm in Ontario.) I'll be capping the line on the outside wall of the chimney...
  2. philp

Low water pressure

I've added a laundry sink beside my washer/dryer and a hand basin in a bedroom. I Tee'd off the washer lines and everything seems fine except the pressure out of both new faucets is very low. I removed the hoses for the washer (which is easy and doesn't create any water mess) and checked the...
  3. philp

Upgrading house wiring

My house was built in 1950. The electrical wiring has a few fixable problems (no GFCIs, outdoor outlets using indoor receptacles, no grounding, switches in inconvenient places, circuits no longer to code, too few outlets, etc.) but the main problem is that some of the breakers trip due to too...
  4. philp

Dumb question about stud walls

I'm framing a 2x4 stud wall (it is interior but will have sound proof insulation). Part of the wall is only 37" long - do I stick to 16" OC and put in an extra stud with a tiny space or do I just divide the space evenly or just make the last gap bigger? I expect it doesn't matter what I do...
  5. philp

Adding bathroom to basement

My basement has no bathroom and now that I have added a home theatre it is much more inconvenient to run upstairs in the middle of the film (and for some reason it always happens at a highly dramatic moment:eek:). So I was thinking about adding a bathroom. I've worked out a layout and here's...
  6. philp

GFCI in bathroom

My bathroom has a hallway switch which turns on the light (above vanity) and also turns "on" a grounded outlet. I'd like to change this to a GFCI outlet which is always "on" with the switch for the lights still working. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this with minimal re-wiring...
  7. philp

Reduce lag time for tankless

We installed a Rinnai tankless hwh two months ago. Now it takes about 30 seconds to get warm water and 40 to get hot. With our old electric hot water tank it used to take under 15 seconds to get warm and 20 to get hot. (I tested this first thing in the morning when the hot water hasn't been...
  8. philp

Basic electrical questions

I'm looking at converting part of my basement into a home theatre. (This has led me to look at the whole electrical wiring in the house and I can see it needs an overhaul.) The area in question has a few electrical receptacles and a set of lights. I want to add three more receptacles and...
  9. philp

Re/Moving a light switch

I'm opening up a wall between our family room and kitchen and have a few small electrical problems which I hope someone can help with. 1. One light fixture is on a 3-way circuit (2 switches) and now I don't need the extra switch and want to drywall patch over the wall plate. How can I remove...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks