Search results

1. Fistor

My light switch reversed... polarity???

Hi all - A while since I've been here, but I have a strange "problem", if you will, that popped up a few weeks ago... In my kitchen, I have a lightswitch that operates a single, overhead light (a fluorescent bank). I've lived in this house now for 6 years, and until a few weeks ago...
  2. Fistor

Floor warming... 120V mat vs. 240V thermostat

Hi all - This is probably an obvious question, but my bathroom is being renovated, and the mat (Honeywell 10-15B-120H) is rated for 120V. A separate 20A circuit was installed for this. The thermostat that was purchased is a Honeywell also (Honeywell HWF1GB-15-240), rated for 240V. Does...
  3. Fistor

Drywalling - sand once, or after each coat?

Hi - This is probably a silly question, but I have seen differing opinions on drywall sanding... should drywall be sanded after each coat, or only once, after the final (2nd or 3rd) coat of mud? Thnx!
  4. Fistor

Should I connect a 3" or 4" flange to 4-in drain pipe?

Hi - The title says it all. For my toilet installation, in which I am installing a new ABS closet flange, do you recommend that I use a 3-in or 4-in flange (that is the underside diameter of the flange) to connect to the 4-in ABS riser? As I see it, the advantage to using a 4-in ABS is...
  5. Fistor

How to sequence closet flange install vs. CBU

Hi all - I am replacing the closet flange as part of my bathroom reno, and thought I had everything figured out, but now I am scratching my head about sequencing of installation. Here is my dilemma: - I removed the old flange (was beyond reuse) and the uppermost portion of the old cast...
  6. Fistor

Suggestions for wiring/breaker for dedicated A/V outlets?

Hi - Just thinking ahead to my next project, which will be a minor reno of the living room. For that reno, I will be structuring it around a new (yay!) A/V system - large LCD, stereo, etc. Because I have an older house, I am considering adding some new, dedicated wiring for this purpose...
  7. Fistor

Difference between "thinset" and "dryset" mortar...?

Can someone explain the difference between thinset and dryset mortar? Some stores seem to carry one or the other, but not both - I'm wondering if perhaps these are the same thing, but under different brands...?
  8. Fistor

Moisture protection beneath CBU floor?

Hi - Just a quick question here... I plan to put down some cement board over the subfloor, prior to placing tile. My question: do I need to add some sort of moisture protection (e.g. poly sheet) beneath the cement board? I know this is advisable behind cement board wall for a tub...
  9. Fistor

Cement board or DensShield??

Hi - Looking for opinions on the usage of cement board vs. DensShield behind tile for a tub enclosure. My understanding: cement board: - durable - allows moisture through, but provided that you have waterproofing behind it, it won't be a problem. - more difficult to work with than...
  10. Fistor

Breakers: criteria for selection?

Hi all - Just wondering if someone could give me a quick review rundown on the criteria for selecting breakers for the panel. As I understand it, you need to consider: - make (e.g. Siemens) - amperage (e.g. 15-A) - single/double pole Anything else? Also, what physically is the...
  11. Fistor

Is this switch ok for a 15A circuit?

Hi all - I am considering a timer switch for a bathroom ceiling fan, which is on a 15A circuit. The switch is advertised as 20A. Is it safe/correct to assume that this would work on a 15A circuit as well? Here is the switch: http://www.smarthome.com/4253w-b.html Reading the...
  12. Fistor

Wall insulation around cabling - OK?

For my bathroom reno, I am wondering if it would be acceptable (i.e. safe) to place insulation (fibreglass-type batts) in contact with the newly installed NM cables leading to/from the switches and fixtures? I am thinking of possible heat issues (sorry if this is a n00b concern, I really don't...
  13. Fistor

One-way mirrors

Hi - One slightly different aspect of my current bathroom reno is my plan/hope to "stealth" an LCD tv behind a (1-way) mirror. The idea is, when there is no backlight (i.e. the TV is off), the mirror would be just another mirror. However, when the TV is on, the image would show through the...
  14. Fistor

Toilet flange over, or flush, with tile?

Hi all - I have a question about setting the height of a new toilet flange. Should the flange... 1) be set directly on the floor underlay, with tile more or less flush with the flange? - OR - 2) should the flange height account for the tile height? (i.e. overlie the...
  15. Fistor

Leaky bathtub drain-waste assembly

Hi all - PROBLEM: I recently installed a tub, and a copper/brass drain-waste assembly. I test-filled the tub yesterday (while the walls are still off), and noticed leaks at several points on the assembly. SOME ADDITIONAL INFO: It seems that the "biggest" leaks (i.e.drops forming every...
  16. Fistor

Lapping flange around acrylic bathtub - suggestions?

Hi all - I have installed an acrylic tub, but one thing about its edges has me stumped. From what I understand, normally one would want to place something like galvanized metal flashing over the edge flange of the tub, tacked to the wall so that it hangs down over the flange, so that any...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks