Search results

1. geno54

AC Questions

If you are able to get to the end of the condensate line from the outside, then get a vacuum cleaner and suck it out.
  2. geno54

Need 9" Hole Saw

The reason he said that is because cutting plaster with either wood lathe or metal grid is that is tedious and time consuming to perform. Chips are common and ceilings sometimes have to be repatched and or painted afterwards if not done carefully. No 9 inch hole saws I know of.
  3. geno54

AC blower starting capacitor

Not a problem. You can go up in rated voltage but not down
  4. geno54

Split system compressor and dryer filter question

Very common not to put a drier in at the initial install, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. I would suggest having a reputable company come in to do a complete check to make sure you haven't overlooked anything. And yes driers should be installed after a compressor change, whether a...
  5. geno54

Wiring a Tekmar 256

You would have to add a transformer off of the service switch to power the 256 then rewire your aux contact wiring through this transformer to energize the 256 when any of the zones calls. Then the 256 would bring on the boiler (8124A) through (5/6). If not done this way you may end up with...
  6. geno54

Supply Air Temp

A Ballpark figure is about 20 deg. on the heatpump only with no strip heat on. This may vary up or down from one manufacturer to another. I always inform my customers not to set back there tstats on heat pumps more than a few degrees. At your temps the air will feel cool most of the time.
  7. geno54

inline in gas furnace exhaust: what is it?

No it should not be there. Would be good idea to find a better Pro than the last one, who understands venting.
  8. geno54

inline in gas furnace exhaust: what is it?

That's a B vent or double wall tee that appears to have been capped off. The water leaking is flu gasses condensing in the tee and rotting through the metal. The tee shouldn't really be there but judging by the exceptional craftsmanship he needed a short piece and that's what he had laying...
  9. geno54

Tekmar 256 and Honeywell L8148A

Try www.tekmarcontrols.com Tekmar leads to another company
  10. geno54

FYI: new york ground source heat pumps

Don't bet on it. Well drilling costs are very expensive. There prices are not coming down because they have a bit more work. I deal with one driller here on LI and we talk occasionally on cost of operation and the numbers are staggering. I know for sure he doesn't have an S550 in his garage
  11. geno54

Hot water zone Valve

It's time to call in a Pro to analyze your system
  12. geno54

Clogged Drain Line Caused Drip outside drip pan

Some of my observations Where did the water come through the cieling? Below the air handler or towards the outside wall? where the condensate drains out. Is the Air Handler level or pitched to the drain. I prefer pitched to the drain. This can be checked by opening the blower (while it...
  13. geno54

Fixing a heat pump

No not worth fixing. Refrigeration side has been open too long and contaminated with air and moisture. Water is death to a compressor and the entire system
  14. geno54

Hot water zone Valve

My experience is either they work or don't work. You need not unsweat the whole body just change the power head. If the old style you have to dump the water to change, new style not necessary.
  15. geno54

Lights blink/dim

Ask your AC contractor if you have a Hard start kit on your outdoor unit. A factory hard start kit will help your compressor get up to speed faster and reduce but may not totally eliminate the dimming. There may also be conditions in your electrical system that could cause this. A qualified AC...
  16. geno54

Geothermal

In addition to what Bill said, the type of solenoid valve used is also important. Some geo installers install the type that are used on sprinkler systems and a lot of them are fast closing and will cause a hammer. I have been using a slow closing type (300 series) made by HIT products in...
  17. geno54

Howling return

20 x 20 is too small. You need a larger return to reduce the velocity and the noise.
  18. geno54

Outside Breaker Trips

Could be a bad compressor, burned wire or even a bad or burned circuit breaker. Have had a few CBs that heated up on the busbar and tripped although you couldn't see it unless you removed the breaker. Time to call in a pro.
  19. geno54

Geothermal System

A straight DX system would use a copper loop with refrigerant, laid out in a field, verses a slinky or vertical system using plastic tubing and an antifreeze solution. I was tasked to rip out a DX loop of 1/4" copper tubing once in a 30 X 30 field because the copper developed a leak and then...
  20. geno54

Geothermal System

Upside is they may be 25% more efficient, downside is if you have a problem in the "field" you will have to rip it out and that can be expensive. Soil conditions have to be right as they may affect the copper and cause pitting and leaking. Does the contractor have a list of satisfied customers...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks