Search results

1. looknohands

What is the best make tankless/endless water heater to get?

Wow, I'm glad I asked. I'll do my research through this forum. From the sound of it, I may just get a new 40 gallon water heater then. - Erik
  2. looknohands

What is the best make tankless/endless water heater to get?

Hi, In our house with two full bathrooms I'd like to replace our 40 gallon gas water heater with a tankless/endless-water heater. Any advice on where to start looking for information on what kind of heaters might be best are really appreciated. I really have no idea where to even start...
  3. looknohands

Hot-water heated mirror in bathroom >>> is this easy to put together?

Hey, thanks for all the tips guys! I'll definitely look into the Panasonic fan option. I also like the tip of the copper plate. I may just do without mirror heating, but if I decide to go for it still, then I'll work out the copper plate setup. - Erik
  4. looknohands

Interesting tip about applying that film, but I am not sure how that would make the mirror look -- I'm sure you can notice it in some way. My wife has been in a hotel where the mirror was heated, and it worked beautifully. We read somewhere that mirrors can be easily heated by running the...
  5. looknohands

Hi, I am about to solder my copper waterlines in a new bathroom, and I'm considering routing the shower's hot-water supply line behind the bathroom mirror so it's automatically heated whenever someone takes a shower. I know that there are electric heating pads that can do the same, i.e...
  6. looknohands

Proposed layout questions

Note: I'm not a plumber, so make sure to get a second opinion on this from HJ for example. Since the toilet is right next to the stack, I don't think you need to vent it. If you were to use a 3" toilet drain, you'd have to vent it if it were at least 6 feet away from the stack {UPC}, but...
  7. looknohands

Remodeling bathroom: part 1 of PVC piping complete (see pic)

It's a bit of a mystery to me what they used for the original flange back in 1997, as it does seem to be a short straight flange of unusual diameter (at the top somewhat larger than 4", not matching any of the sizes I've seen at Home Depot, with a even wider female end underneath it) that is...
  8. looknohands

Right, I see what you mean. It's not that I glued a 4x3 flange into the 4" pipe, though. That flange was already there, and my piping is simply not touching it. What I did do is glue a straight coupler into the 4" pipe that's deeper below, and glued the 3" into that coupler. That coupler...
  9. looknohands

Yes, I used one of those shielded couplings already. I have another one still, which I'll use for the installation of the new T. Underneath the concrete, under the flange, the 4" pipe makes a 90º long sweep towards the main drain. The wall-mounted toilet is a Duravit Darling, from which...
  10. looknohands

I will replace that rubber T with a PVC one. Home Depot indeed has not heard of slip couplings -- I wanted to use that instead of the rubber coupling on the other end -- but I can connect the new PVC T with a rubber coupling on one of its legs. About the 3" going into the existing flange...
  11. looknohands

Thanks for your quick reply. The 3" 90º elbow is cemented into an adapter that takes a 3" and is made to fit inside a 4" pipe. Below the existing flange is a 4" pipe, in which this adapter is cemented in place. It's a perfect fit, with the adapter sticking 2 inches into the 4" pipe below...
  12. looknohands

I'm remodeling our half-bath into a full bathroom, moving the toilet and sink to a different location, and building a tiled shower. I posted my PVC rough-in plan here a few days ago: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731 Worked out Plan B today. Still have to extend the 3"...
  13. looknohands

Toilet + sink plumbing plan: please review -- trying to decide between two plans

What is the AHJ? I just drew this up in Photoshop. If you look at this page: http://www.staffassoc.com/dpfonts/sampfont.pdf , then you'll see an example of a PVC Pipe font. I zoomed in on this page, took some screen dumps, imported those in Photoshop and derived all the shapes from that. I...
  14. looknohands

Toilet + sink plumbing plan: please review -- trying to decide between two plans

Plan C Right, that makes sense -- see new rough-in diagram below. The trap arm of the sink will only be about a foot. I can meet the 6 ft requirement for the toilet drain; in fact I can place the vent such that it will tap into the toilet drain at about 5 ft, making the sink trap arm a...
  15. looknohands

No no, not planning to wet vent horizontally. The vent coming in horizontally is a dry vent. I would just prefer to vent the 3" toilet drain through the vent that's already venting the sink. The couple of feet of vertical pipe between the sink's trap arm and the horizontal toilet drain...
  16. looknohands

Oops, one minor error in the drawing: the horizontal trap arm of the sink drain is not 2" in diameter, it's 1 1/2 ". The vent for the sink is planned to be 2". With the sink drain trap arm being 1.5", can I wet vent the toilet through a 2" pipe, or should that be 3" to meet UPC? - Erik
  17. looknohands

Thanks for your quick response... Yeah, that's how I also understood it from studying the code. Confusing though that Black & Decker's plumbing book does show these sanitary T's on their backs. As for my other question, "Do I need to vent the toilet separately from the sink?", it looks like...
  18. looknohands

Hi everybody, First of all: what an incredible forum this is! In planning the PVC plumbing for the toilet and sink in our new bath room, I have the following questions -- see the attached image for reference: * Does the toilet drain need a separate vent from the sink drain, or can I...
  19. looknohands

How to attach 3" waste pipe to existing 4" flange?

I won't poor cement over it actually. As it turns out, a little deeper inside the flange the pipe is indeed exactly 4" and the piece I got at Home Depot fits in there perfectly tight without any play. I just fitted it in there, and it's a perfect fit -- there's no play at all. So, I...
  20. looknohands

How to attach 3" waste pipe to existing 4" flange?

May have found another solution: just got a PVC flange from Home Depot that fits inside a 4" pipe and takes a 3" pipe. I just have to cut the top bit off, so I can drop the cilinder in the current flange as an adapter, cement that in place, and then cement the 3" pipe into it. What do you...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks