Search results

1. McG

re-post: mod please delete

I cannot delete this. Sorry.
  2. McG

Changing the Oil Filter- should be easy, but it's not...

The filter holder is a Westwood f 100 8 spin-on can, gravity fed type. There is a Gar-Ber brand filter element (screw on can) on it. To change it out I got the Westwood f 100 10 fuel filter element. That is the only one our Home Depot stocked and the floor man told me it was "the one" for...
  3. McG

Bismuth solder

Anybody ever use bismuth solder ? From Wikipedia's article on Soldering: "Other common solders include low-temperature formulations (often containing bismuth), which are often used to join previously-soldered assemblies without un-soldering earlier connections, and high-temperature...
  4. McG

How to refill a single zone, oil fired hot water boiler for baseboard radiant heat

Please help me understand this system and how to get it up and running again. I had to lower a pipe, so I drained down the system (don't know if I did this properly) cut the pipe and lowered it. Now I need to get the boiler running again. I think I need to flush the pipes first to remove...
  5. McG

Annual boiler cleaning - how can I do it myself?

We've been paying $90 year to have our boiler cleaned. I'd like to do it myself and save the service charge. What do I need to know? We have oil heat with forced hot water off a Weil-McClain Gold boiler and a Superstore Ultra indirect water heater.
  6. McG

"Superstore" 40 gal hot water tank discharging through overflow - why?

We were away for a few days and shut off the oil burner/boiler (Weil-McClean Gold) while we were gone. We turned the boiler on when we got home. A day after returning home I heard water running in the cellar - the overflow from the Superstore was discharging into the one gallon pale on the...
  7. McG

I don't want to pay to heat the whole house? How can I completely shut off one zone?

I am living in a large house with radiators and two heating zones in New England. I have the thermostat set to the lowest possible setting in the zone of the house I don't use. Even at that, it is burning a lot of oil to maintain that minimum temperature. How can I shut off that zone and part...
  8. McG

Installing a neoprene sleeve banded coupling - the easy way!

Okay fellas (and gals) my finger tips are raw from trying to unroll the black rubber sleeve of a banded coupling. I got one end on and have now to roll the cuff onto the joining 2" PVC pipe. I am working in a very cramped and confined space - lath and plaster behind, a stud an inch to the left -...
  9. McG

Help...

If you are a professional plumber I would very much appreciate it if you respond to my post. Much thanks. Hired a man to replumb the bathroom. From the toilet bend to the 4" vertical DWV stack he installed ten horizontal (pitched) feet of 3" pipe. There are two forty-five degree elbows and...
  10. McG

Toilet DWV EMERGENCY!

If you are a professional plumber, please respond to my post immediately. Much thanks in advance. Hired a man to replumb the bathroom. From the toilet bend to the 4" vertical DWV stack he installed ten horizontal (pitched) feet of 3" pipe. There are two forty-five degree elbows and one...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks