Search results

1. Mr_Pike

How to configure a drip zone? (control/timing)

How are you turning on your pump currently? I would assume that the clock has a Master Valve or Pump Start port. Just add your drip zone to that port as well. That way your drip runs the entire time your pump is on.
  2. Mr_Pike

Minor weeping leaks - are those OK?

Where did you find 200 PSI Poly roll pipe? Most lateral (zone pipe) is only rated to 80 PSI. If you are really using 200 PSI pipe, I would see why you would have trouble with the fittings. If done properly, you should only wave the torch or heat gun quickly back and forth on the outside...
  3. Mr_Pike

Big Storm now No Water

Lightning and thunder sound like a ringing cash register to well guys......:D Insurance usually covers the cost of repairs, so a lot of the time the homeowner gets new everything from the Pressure Switch all the way to the tip of the motor.
  4. Mr_Pike

Problem with valves

Do you have a pressure gauge anywhere in the system? Some valves have a minimum PSI requirement for opening. Sounds a bit like what you are experiencing. Grasping at straws here without being there, but is your well possible putting out less water once it gets to zones 3 and 4?
  5. Mr_Pike

Splice sprinkler cable?

I have been using a product called a Snaploc wire connector from Blazing Products. It is a giant swiveling Scotch lock basically, it has jaws that pierce the jacket of the wire, and make contact. It is filled with waterproof goop so the connection is water tight when closed. Much faster and...
  6. Mr_Pike

What do you think about this design?

This must be the guide used to install a system I ran into last week. All schedule 40 PVC, with GALVANIZED T's....:eek: Everything leaked like a sieve, and the guy got pretty miffed when I asked if this was a Do it Yourself job.... Valve box was full of water, and the wire nuts were...
  7. Mr_Pike

New Sprinkler Install

You shouldn't have any trouble getting all 10 GPM out of the 3/4. Plumb 3/4 copper into and out of your Backflow preventer. Once you are in the ground, go to 1" PVC or 1" 125 PSI Poly to the valve boxes. After the valves, I would use the cheaper 80 lb poly roll pipe. When laying out your...
  8. Mr_Pike

New Sprinkler Install

Do you know your Gallons per minute of your well output? Your design should use all available water from the well, to minimize on/off cycles of the pump. Install the T for the sprinkler where it is most convenient, and has the best water source. If that is 4 or 5 feet after the 1" stops, I...
  9. Mr_Pike

Loud Noise switching between spray and rotary heads

Would you describe the noise as Banging? Like pipes shaking banging, or a loud ticking that gets progressively slower?
  10. Mr_Pike

New Sprinkler Install

How often do you change your sediment filter? Is there sand in it? I have run into a few wells where a filter was needed for sand, the rest just clog up with manganese and rust gunk and cause problems. If you have a well that is full of rust etc, try to avoid drip line and even spray...
  11. Mr_Pike

What do you think about this design?

Well, there is no Backflow prevention device that I can see, no system drain, and I would never ever ever ever use a compression T to hook up the the supply line inside the home, and I would never use a PVC male threaded adapter, other than that, I would say its a pretty drawing.
  12. Mr_Pike

How to eliminate unwanted heads

If it is the last head on a line at the bottom of a slope, you might want to replace the standard elbow with a lateral drain elbow. It is just a precaution so dead water doesn't get trapped in the zone during winterization. The lateral drain will open a weep hole when the pressure in the...
  13. Mr_Pike

PVC - Copper Pipe Joint

I quit using PVC male adapters a long time ago. If you need to make a connection to female Iron or copper pipe. Cut a Pipe Nipple in half and use a coupling to join half to the PVC. You will have a joint that is twice a strong... A PVC male adapter might as well be perforated at the bottom...
  14. Mr_Pike

vibration in sprinkler system

What kind of vibration? If it is a tick tick tick tick tick, take a look at your water meter. See if the ticking corresponds to the tell tale wheel on the meter. If it is a whining noise, you could have a bad PRV (pressure reducing valve) or bad rubbers in a frost free shutoff. If it...
  15. Mr_Pike

Possible Problems With Rain Sensor

So the controller runs the cycle, and timer counts down, but no zones come on? Sounds to me like the rain sensor is wired into the common side of the valves. The activated sensor is putting an open condition on your common side power. This is normal operation. Follow the wires to...
  16. Mr_Pike

How to free a "frozen" joint?

Use bigger wrenches.
  17. Mr_Pike

Winter blowout port

Best solution all around is to T in a 3/4" Boiler drain right after your Backflow Preventer. A boiler drain is a valve with pipe threads on one side, and hose threads on the other. The mainline drain drains everything to the BF. You can use the boiler drain as a secondary hose bib if you...
  18. Mr_Pike

Add Sprinkler Head to My Current System

It is not a great idea to mix the two types of heads you have pictured on the same zone. A Rotor (3/4 inlet, that pops up and turns back and forth with a single stream) actually puts down 1/3rd the amount of water of a spray head (1/2 inlet pops up to a shaped spray of water.) The area...
  19. Mr_Pike

Trouble Turning Sprinklers On This Spring

We open a zone as part of our start up procedure to let off the air pressure that would be built up in the main line if all the zones were left closed. That is the way I was taught years ago, so it is the way I teach my guys. I have never seen any damage that could not have also have been...
  20. Mr_Pike

Trouble Turning Sprinklers On This Spring

Step 2 is incorrect. A lot of times in order to get the spring to seat, you have to provide a rush of water to the BF Preventer. You would open the supply QUICKLY.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks