Search results

1. Paltus

PVC drop pipe: male adapters vs threading the pipe

Finally got to do this experiment. went upto 1500 pounds, held for 5 minutes and nothing broke, neither the threaded end nor the glued adapter. That's the max the neighbor's tractor can do so I am afraid it will conclude the measured experiment for now. Maybe I will try a 20 ton hydraulic jack...
  2. Paltus

Wire type for low water sensor in 200' well

what is a good type of wire to use for low water sensor ? The sensor I got is 2 leads that (apparently) short in the water and the wire length there is 15 feet or so. I need closer to 200'. what type of wire should I use. thanks PS I promised pipe thread VS glue adapter experiment results in a...
  3. Paltus

you'd normally use rigid PVC pipe with metal ( SS ) female adapters so PVC glue won't help. Other type of glue may help but can make it difficult to undo without cutting pipe if you need to pull the pump later on. but if you don't need to pull the pump in a long time and/or don't mind cutting...
  4. Paltus

Will this DC pump work with 12/3 cable at 200' or I need 10/3

all true but somewhere in there I think it said for starting it needs upto 14 or 16 amp and I measured current over UVW wires when the pump as doing 85 PSI, my meter was showing about 8 amp over each of the 3, I don't know how they add up though
  5. Paltus

for the test I was using DC power supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GFSVHLS
  6. Paltus

my theory was on 14/3 the voltage drop was too big - I could feel the pump trying to start but never starting. now another theory is also unshielded coiled cable (but I really dont know anything about that). Note it is a 24V DC pump
  7. Paltus

thanks. The seller said 12/3 is OK. https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/TxO1XE52MR166U/ref=ask_dp_lsw_al_hza?asin=B07MF13KPZ I think I will be doing 12/3. For the record I tested it on coiled 250' 12/3 NM roll that I had for non-pump electric work, and the 12/3 coil worked fine and didnt...
  8. Paltus

this is a short test pipe, one side (shown) has glue welded male adapter, the other side has DIY threads on the pipe. I am going to put this test pipe under load test and see which side fails first. I didnt put any thread sealant or tape onto this test pipe. I am still thinking about how to do...
  9. Paltus

At 57.4 N-m the pipe made a sound like a very quiet little girls fart or something. I don't know if that's it or not but feels like a lot of torque for pvc ( them little girls ... ). Thats what my DIY socket for 1" tees looks like after putting two onto two ends of a test pipe. I won't measure...
  10. Paltus

PS I also tried to run it on 250' roll of 14/3, it didnt work, the pump wouldnt start
  11. Paltus

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MF13KPZ I ran it outside of the well on 250' roll of 12/3 between the controller and the pump, restricting the flow so it would pressurize to 80+PSI near the pump and it seems to be doing that. Is it a good test ?
  12. Paltus

Is Ground Wire necessary on sub pump?

looks like a Chinese knock off of something really good. Actually looks good too. The controller box and sensors I'm not quite sure about. If it in fact can do 300' I'd be pretty happy. Very low starting torque :) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MF13KPZ the weird looking accessory is a...
  13. Paltus

Is Ground Wire necessary on sub pump?

So I got a 3 wire pump with wires marked UVW and no obvious place to connect ground on the pump. Can I use SS safety cable as ground ?
  14. Paltus

in the mean time I am glad to report that threads made with $13 PVC threader online look so much better than threads made with an electric threader for metal pipe, that I am finally warming up to the idea of threading the pipe for this application. Will keep posting other test results here
  15. Paltus

I will measure it in ft/lbs for PVC+SS dry, for factory threads on the adapter and for DIY threads on the other end of my test pipe, and will post it
  16. Paltus

sure, there is a range: between 1 pop and 2 pop. I'd be happy with a range also as long as it is in the units my torque wrench would understand
  17. Paltus

No I don't think like that - when I am following BMW spec for torquing bolts on my car I know that if I undertorque they might unscrew or wont work and if I overtorque they might break or strip the threads etc . similarly 1" sch80 PVC has to have optimal torquing force. If a pump is bigger than...
  18. Paltus

thanks. I will be lowering first, the 200' well is undeveloped. Pulling I'll have to do if something goes wrong ( hopefully not but .. ) I'm planning to clamp with pipe vise below glued on male adapters :-) and tie a ladder to a truck to help support 10' pipe sections going in. BTW I just had...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks