Search results

1. Harold Balls

Old flange -- repair it or use it? What was the plastic horn used for on top of the flange?

Thank you; that's a good suggestion, and I did think of that. The nut was really tight and did not want to move any further. I could try some Teflon tape, but I don't like that old style of valve and just figured I'd toss it since a replacement would not cost much.
  2. Harold Balls

Old flange -- repair it or use it? What was the plastic horn used for on top of the flange?

Resolved, except now the water source leaks! Unbelievable. Back to Home Depot a fourth time to update the very old water supply valve you have to annoyingly turn about eight half turns. I'll just update it with one of the newer half-turn on/off valves. Thanks to all for the input!
  3. Harold Balls

I am taking your advice, and thank you for it. My concern simply was that with all of the pock marks and recesses, nooks, and crannies, that it would not get a good seal. It appears the Korky product is good enough. The thin foam gasket that comes with it seemed to be barely enough cushion...
  4. Harold Balls

The flange is solidly affixed to the floor and solidly holds the closet bolts in place. The level of the top of the flange is no more than a couple millimeters higher than the linoleum floor sheeting. The suggestion of the wax first and then the waxless seal is a good idea, but I wanted to avoid...
  5. Harold Balls

What to do? First, the flange is pretty level with the linoleum, only one or two millimeters above it at most. Attached are photos showing its condition as well as the condition of the 66-year-old drain pipe. I originally thought I'd try this...
  6. Harold Balls

Amen to that! I'd like to never use wax again in my life, if I'm able, and that's my goal. It seems like it's a lot harder and often requires multiple tries without wax. Using a wax ring, you can be kind of sloppy, have little attention to detail, but it still ends up making a perfect seal...
  7. Harold Balls

Good call, very possibly -- except it looked like and appeared to be the same amount of an intact ring, surrounded by additional wax that was not part of the ring, but it's difficult to guess. It was a lot of wax. I included the photo simply because there may have been a leak before and...
  8. Harold Balls

Thank you for your response and identifying the "sheath." Please identify the Saniseal product to which you refer as I don't understand the context. As to the Korky product, I think it is good and have used it before. As mentioned, I tried to use the cheaper Fluidmaster product (in two...
  9. Harold Balls

Thank you for your response. I did not give the Danco item any considering because its problems seem twofold from reviews: 1) made of rusting metal; and 2) too thin and bows when tightening the closet bolts. Also to me, it just looks flimsy, although I like the idea -- it probably did not get...
  10. Harold Balls

Hello, Terry and friends! As a DIY’er, I’ve got another infrequent (seemingly biannual) toilet install. Facts: 1957 house. Old cast iron drainpipe might be the old 3.5-inch; I didn’t measure it and am not at the location now. Unfortunately, I did not take more photos, either, after I finished...
  11. Harold Balls

Spacer used for toilet flange repair. Toilet leaks at base. Help!

It's a learning project. Yes, a time investment already perhaps poorly spent. But, I need to learn these things. I should have learned them many years ago. And, I can't let something like this fail by simply buying a new toilet or reinstalling the perfectly good one that is actually newer...
  12. Harold Balls

Understood. On my way to Home Depot in a little bit for a changeup of seal type. Wax is certainly more reliable, but is just such a mess. I wanted to have a clean install with no wax, but maybe it won't happen. I'll see if a replacement or another seal type works and if not, back to the...
  13. Harold Balls

Good idea. I looked very carefully for a crack early on this week but did not find one. I've posted a few photos of the horn and where it is mounted. Maybe some oddity in the construction process is causing the leak? The small fingernail-type of indentation/long scratch you can see in the...
  14. Harold Balls

I like your thorough level of analyzation. But, it is not a tank leak. Even with a bolt leak, there would still be water draining down the side or back of the toilet to find a path to the floor. It's not; it's definitely arriving and penetrating the right front side of the base of the bowl...
  15. Harold Balls

Without trying at all to be discourteous, I have no idea what you are trying to communicate and don't want to make a mistake guessing. Could you please try again?
  16. Harold Balls

Thanks for your questions and the time you took to carefully think them out. I'm impressed. My answers are as follows: Q. Any chance there is blockage in the drain line? You could run a garden hose full blast down the hole to check for that. A. Not likely but I cannot rule that out. No...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks