Search results

1. Bobby E

Cantilever insulation/sealing?

Thanks again for the response Dana you’re awesome. I have to make my decision tomorrow and I think I’ll go with the memory foam with breathable moisture barrier. I was just nervous because some of the subfloor has gaps open to cantilever below (runs perpendicular to joists and no blocking under...
  2. Bobby E

I just don’t know anything about those types of underlayments. I’d really like something antimicrobial (I’m worried about mold from subfloor and food/drink from above penetrating the padding) but everything that has it also has a moisture barrier built into it. Do you think the pad I linked...
  3. Bobby E

The Mohawk smart cushion states it isn’t breathable(permeable?) but this one I linked below says it’s breathable: Https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/media/HEALT001/Prod_Tech_Spec/HCGoldSpec.pdf I’m just cautious because under my living room there seem to be considerable air leaks through the...
  4. Bobby E

Awesome response, thank you again Dana! I did leave a few inches to the bottom of the subfloor as I couldn’t feel any air leakage (and it was very windy out!) Could you please take a look at this and let me know if you think it’s a good idea to use in my situation? I like the idea of memory...
  5. Bobby E

I did notice some rips on the outer covering of the HVAC vent and the connection of a duct (dryer or bathroom exhaust I’m not sure) was loose so I’ll need to tape those up really good in the morning. Unfortunately I can’t get to look at them under the subfloor, only where it’s open now..and my...
  6. Bobby E

So the main thing is to block up the truss webbing? Or is it that and in addition to adding roxul vertically above the supporting wall? And if I cannot get this done before I need to close the floors on Thursday/Friday, just how imperative is it? Are we talking about just a loss of some...
  7. Bobby E

Thanks so much for more valuable information Dana! We’ll be installing the 3/4” plywood then 8lb rebond carpet padding and carpet. But if you still think it’s smart to fill up the rest of the space maybe I should just do it now, since as you say it’s way more difficult later. I do have...
  8. Bobby E

Thank you! They came this morning and sprayed around 4-5” of closed cell HFO foam on the ends, face and floor of the cantilever. I was under the impression they’d spray 2-3” but it’s definitely 4-5”. The installer said there are flame retardants in the foam. Am I good to close it with plywood...
  9. Bobby E

Siders came by and installed metal (hard aluminum?) and I think window tape over it all then the siding with foam backed insulation attached to it. I should be good to spray foam over that no? The pic is too large to post.
  10. Bobby E

I can confirm with my insulation professional that his foam is HFO. The gypsum board on the bays inside of the supporting wall are double 5/8" as that's the fire code for my neighboring apartment below. In the other cantilever it's just a single 5/8" inside of the supporting wall. I have...
  11. Bobby E

I had my spray foam insulation guy come today and he advised on spraying 3.5-4” of closed cell on the foil faced wall, in between the truss joists and plywood bottom (over supporting wall.) He says since we’re borderline zone 4 the closed cell is the best option to fill every void and seal it...
  12. Bobby E

I really appreciate your detailed response! I don't think I'll be able to seal off all of the bays entering into the conditioned airspace or between the truss joists as I only have access from above, being a condo I can't remove the soffit to seal under the subfloor. I did my best to cut holes...
  13. Bobby E

Dana I hope you’re still here! I have a situation I need resolved ASAP as I need to close the subfloor and get it carpet installed so I can move in! I’m in Bergen County NJ, Zone 5(almost 4!) I have 2 cantilevers, one on the second story and one on the third. The one on the second story has a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks