PSI closed water system

Users who are viewing this thread

jtx

Reaction score
I recently replaced my failed PRV and expansion tank on my 50 gallon ao smith. I matched the expansion tank psi to my incoming water pressure of 60. Once the water heater heats up, I seen the pressure hit up to 70. Is this an acceptable psi while the WH is heating up? I swapped a 2.1 gallon expansion tank with a 2 gallon. My w/h is set to 120 degrees, so I feel a 2 gallon tank is plenty. I could swap the tank with a 4 gallon, but I am not sure what is an acceptable range of psi increase. I don't believe an expansion tank eliminates the psi rising, just a place where it can push water into.

Thanks

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
120 PSI max is quite acceptable rise with your thermal expansion tank, but some nervous folks would choose a smaller number.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks