Stair cavity

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I was crawling on my knees through my attic inspecting some wiring when my foot accidentally landed between two trusses, knocking down a piece of regular cardboard that was holding up the cellulose insulation over my stair cavity. Has anybody heard of such a thing? Is it normal to use cardboard over stair cavities? I attached a pic of the hole from above. Scared me to death when it fell through. I thought I was dropping with it! I guess I’m wondering if I should put more cardboard up there and throw insulation on top of it or if I should use something else to cover it.

Attachments

• B45236B3-9B64-4F5F-B45F-BB5F2352EB6C.jpeg
    B45236B3-9B64-4F5F-B45F-BB5F2352EB6C.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 183

Bob Y.

Reaction score
Hello,

I recommend that you use 3/4" plywood with 5/8" plasterboard on top for durability and fire resistance.

Bob

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It's definitely not normal to use cardboard to sheathe any framing inside a house- it's a fire hazard! A fire in the stairwell would only take seconds to involve the attic.

Half inch sheet rock would be OK from a fire safety perspective, but still not great if there is a step-through possibility. If you take Bob's advice on the 3/4" plywood the 5/8" sheet rock wouldn't be necessary. Half inch gypsum would be enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks