Recent content by Paul Fithian

1. Paul Fithian

60's Vintage Cast Iron Shower & Toilet Drain Relocate Under Concrete

Thanks! Meyer Glass in Michigan City, IN designed and installed it, real masters at their craft. See https://www.meyerglassandmirror.net/
  2. Paul Fithian

Wanted to thank all for your help, and post a couple of pictures of the finished bathroom. This got heavy use over the holidays and worked out great. Relocating the drains under the concrete enabled installation of a full size shower in this small bathroom.
  3. Paul Fithian

Thanks Tuttles, I am learning so much here. So with this vent, and the new AAV that I installed on the adjacent lav drain, I meet the current code for venting?
  4. Paul Fithian

Lot of progress recently, drains finished, concrete poured, and AAV installed on the lav drain line. Closer inspection of the vertical 4” CI drain coming from the second floor revealed it is vented at the top at the elbow transition to horizontal at the top of this room.
  5. Paul Fithian

Apparently this met code when it was built, and has functioned correctly for 60 years. After installing the shower P-trap, I filled it with water. Over the past few days, with 4 adults using the upstairs bathrooms, there is zero change in the water level in this shower P-trap. It is venting...
  6. Paul Fithian

Here's where I've gotten to after a bit of work over the weekend. Shower drain is complete, connected to the existing cast iron hub with a donut. The drain is sloped to prevent standing water in the horizontal leg. Why can't I run everything as it was with new PVC piping and install the AAV...
  7. Paul Fithian

Got it, I will install an AAV on a sanitary "T" under the bathroom sink in the cabinet it sits on. Thanks!!
  8. Paul Fithian

Found this diagram on a Studor AAV video. I can install one of these under the lavatory sink with a sanitary "T" like this and be compliant, right?
  9. Paul Fithian

Thanks gents, your professional advice is most helpful! I want to do this once, the right way. So what do you suggest on type and layout for venting? I have removed the 1 1/2" lav drain line, it has an NPT connection into the vertical pipe. Can I tie a vent into this point?
  10. Paul Fithian

The vertical line carries drainage from the upstairs bathrooms. Laundry adjacent to this room and the kitchen tie in at a different point. I believe it vents all the way vertically to the roof, as it makes sense on the way the house was built and what I can see from the outside.
  11. Paul Fithian

Here’s a picture of the lav drain. I will replace with new PVC back to the vertical stack
  12. Paul Fithian

Wayne, you are correct in pipe routing, see below.
  13. Paul Fithian

I have two options for making the transition to PVC on the toilet pipe. Option 1 is to drill out the lead and remove the pipe, then insert a donut to connect to PVC. Option 2 is cut the pipe and use a no hub coupling to connect to PVC. I will cut the pipe and remove the old vertical pipe and...
  14. Paul Fithian

Pulled the 2” shower P-trap and drain line out, not that hard with patience and a good drill bit. Pipe was half full of gunk.
  15. Paul Fithian

I cut the concrete around the toilet flange and excavated back to a horizontal hub last night. I plan to remove the pipe at this hub and tie in with PVC pipe and toilet flange to the new location. Any other suggestions? For the short vertical pipe with the toilet flange, distance between the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks