Recent content by OldSalt

1. OldSalt

Expansion tank pressure?

I was preparing to do some outside work which will require me to pull out my 100' compressor air hose, and decided it was time to re-check the pressure on my indoor expansion tank (for a Rinnai RUR98i tankless unit, with recirc option), since I'll have an easy way to add the air if needed. I...
  2. OldSalt

4-season valve manifold & irrigation design

I'm preparing to install irrigation at my Northern Idaho home this spring. I'm sort of stumped. I'd installed several residential irrigation systems over the past 30 years, so none of the requirements are new to me, but things are ~~ just a bit different ~~ in Idaho, versus Southern...
  3. OldSalt

See you later, not goodbye!

I'm a DIY, and only occasionally use this forum when I'm stuck on plumbing issues (such as, building my own house). It's been an invaluable resource. So, that said, and knowing I'm nowhere close to your family ... RIP Terry, and God's blessings on Jamie, Andrea, and the whole Love family...
  4. OldSalt

Brine tank - moving to remote location

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll research the valves, and I'm reading some opinions that Fleck isn't the same company it once was, and quality is dropped. Maybe I'll look for an alternative valve supplier. My 50 psi being weak is a relative statement, i.e. I've been used to 65 (actually, it...
  5. OldSalt

Brine tank - moving to remote location

This question picks up on an old thread, with a few replies from @ditttohead ref: Can brine tank be placed farther from the softener I'm planning an install a Fleck-valve based water softener system for a 2400 sq foot house, in 4 season Idaho. The location available for the install is a...
  6. OldSalt

Electrical caulk for MC PVC cable connectors

Yeah, I thought of that, but since it's exterior, I want something a little more liquid based to seal it. Tape, even if it's compressed in the fitting, eventually gives way. Silicon caulk is warrantied for 40 years. I decided not to use the elastomeric stuff, because it's fairly permanent...
  7. OldSalt

That explains my problem. Thanks.
  8. OldSalt

Project Description: I'm a homeowner installing outdoor light fixtures on my 7' deep balcony, across the front of my home. I'm trying to do this properly to code. However, I have a problem, and intend to resolve it by the "whatever works" method. The fixtures will be mounted on the support...
  9. OldSalt

Adding porch lights: Exterior MC cable?

Well, I found 50' of MC PVC 14/4 stranded that's actually designed for use in an HVAC split-system connection. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-50-ft-14-4-Stranded-CU-EZ-In-Mini-Split-MC-Metal-Clad-Cable-58340803/205404476?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US Price was right, quantity will...
  10. OldSalt

Yeah, I've been looking all over the web. In the few places that actually carry it (or will special order it), it's a 250' minimum (spool). I have a RFQ into one place for 60' - we'll see how they respond. I can't believe that apparently no one ever uses this stuff on exterior applications...
  11. OldSalt

That's a good idea, i.e. adding a cedar block to the post. I was intending on using this, which is weatherproof (just to make sure we're on the same page)...
  12. OldSalt

Hi Wayne, I think you just about nailed it. The item you mentioned is $2.12 /ft, and I'm going to try to use this (if available) for $1.27 /ft. It's rated for sun, wet, and burial...
  13. OldSalt

I'm extending a NM porch light cable in my garage wall, out to two posts supporting the overhead, 7' semi-covered deck, which is in front of the garage. On the posts, I intended to put three lamps, one on one side, and two on the other. The installation will be a surface mount. My original...
  14. OldSalt

Direct Vent Gas Fireplace - Problems

Yes, on the Venturi. It's about 5/8" wide, i.e. wide open (on two sides of the pipe), set open for propane. I read somewhere that the standard is supposed to be 1/2", so I closed it a touch, but it made no noticeable difference. I'll be away for a week, and will tear this down again when I...
  15. OldSalt

Direct Vent Gas Fireplace - Problems

Thanks. Burner looks clean inside from what I can see from the hole, where the Venturi connects to the bottom of the burner. I already cleaned out every hole. I blew out the burner and Venturi detached from the valve. I also removed, cleaned, and inspected the Venturi orifice. I expected...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks