Recent content by mwmosser

1. mwmosser

Yet another mystery leak post

Not my tank in the other photos. Sediment flushed every six months and will change anode rod in a year or two. This is my tank.
  2. mwmosser

Went with Rooter-Man Austin over a dedicated leak-detection company because Rooter-Man reviews said they could detect and fix in one go. Technician arrived around 09:30. After examining the fittings in the house, and determining no leak there, he began investigating places outside where a leak...
  3. mwmosser

My water heater is in an upstairs closet with very limited access. But that turned out to be not the problem, which is great. It's 11 months old and well cared-for so at least I'm not worried about that for awhile.
  4. mwmosser

I like that idea. What little I know of copper sulfite solution is that it goes INSIDE the pipe? You're saying I can put right in the ground around the pipe? That would save me from having the tree ripped out by my landscaping company and costing me more $$$.
  5. mwmosser

Yeah sorry I didn't describe the shutoff well enough in the first post.
  6. mwmosser

Found the leak! Junction from the city to the house line had a crack due to roots from a tree nearby. Line is buried deep (2 feet) and would never have found the leak but had Rooter-Man Austin use sound probe to find. Repaired and all seems OK now. Had to spend a decent amount to find/fix it...
  7. mwmosser

You are correct in your summary. I have a rooter company coming tomorrow for a quick check of pipes outside - perhaps a roots have cracked a pipe in a small enough way to allow this leak to persist. I believe it has grown a bit since first noticing a year ago - then was <2 GPH and I put out of...
  8. mwmosser

Agreed. Would require cutting drywall where our pipes come up from the slab, which from what I can tell is in our kitchen.
  9. mwmosser

I could send a picture but we don't have anything here like what you're showing. The line literally runs underground from the street to the house, and I never see a pipe entering the slab anywhere. We have two outside faucets that come out from the slab on either side of the house, but other...
  10. mwmosser

Thanks for the tips. No water softener here. No swamp cooler. No reverse osmosis water softener either. No main shutoff in houses here. Main (homeowner) shut off is outside underground, on our side of the water mater. Confirmed that when the homeowner valve is fully closed, water meter stops...
  11. mwmosser

Pipes through the slab - no idea what kind but likely whatever builder grade pipes were up to code in 1991 when the house was built. Our soil, coupled with our climate, means houses skate around on slabs down here, to the point where people water the slab in dry weather to keep them from moving...
  12. mwmosser

I'm going to do this with the one older (2012) American Standard toilet we have. That's the one I replaced the flapper. The other two are Toto Eco Drake toilets that I love and that don't leak a drop. Question though: I turned off the water supply to all toilets yesterday for 2 hours and the...
  13. mwmosser

Hello all - I have a small leak somewhere, and it's making me crazy. Our water meter is showing that about 6-7 gallons of water are flowing out every hour, even with no taps open anywhere. I have turned off the main valve to the house and the meter leak detecting triangle stops spinning, so I...