Recent content by Mikha'el

1. Mikha'el

Copper joint. Was it lead free?

In my house that would be considered a good thing. ;)
  2. Mikha'el

Washing machine/laundry sink - critique

Double-checking - am I ok with a 2" san-tee for the WM drain, into a 3" bushing at the floor - or do I need to carry the 3" up? Trying to keep the washer drain as low as possible. Not sure how to read the DFU sizing - is it max 10 dfu for a 2" vertical drain (aka stack <3 stories)? Do the...
  3. Mikha'el

Sewer smell

It's been quite a while since I've been on a residential jobsite - and maybe I don't know what I'm looking at - but don't all those PEX fittings look slightly non-pro? Or is that how it's done on tract housing nowadays?
  4. Mikha'el

Yet another Utility Sink / Washing Machine question

Just curious - with the double fixture fitting, no problem with the washing machine siphoning the sink trap?
  5. Mikha'el

Washing machine/laundry sink - critique

Hi all - for some reason every example out there has the sink "downstream" of the WM standpipe. If you would, please let me know if there's anything amiss with this schematic - using UPC: Thanks, Michael
  6. Mikha'el

Gas WH in garage closet

Thanks for all the replies. The closet is on an outside wall, so I was planning to put in high/low vents through the wall - didn't think you could use the garage for a combustion air source. The previous WH closet had vents into the garage attic - now converted to living space. No flood...
  7. Mikha'el

Residential Electric Panel Grounded at Meter Not at Panel?

Perhaps - though now if you have a "smart" meter they'll know if you've pulled it. It does differ from one POCO to another. Oncor here doesn't allow it (edit - they'll allow you to run it through the meter can, but not terminate). Can't recall PSE (Seattle) but I'm pretty sure you always took it...
  8. Mikha'el

No kidding. And then you arrive in a city like Austin and discover that the city has its own (different) phase color code.
  9. Mikha'el

Most utilities don't want any grounds entering the meter can. It creates a parallel path - if you lost the neutral the (much smaller) ground wire would take its place, and no one would be the wiser until something burned up.
  10. Mikha'el

Confused on the wiring for stove and dryer transfer to new house

Amazing how mice can find their way into a connection box, only to short themselves into mummification. Found a small lizard the other day in my outdoor load center that had done the same - just a skeleton. As mentioned - your building ground is established at the service disconnect, the...
  11. Mikha'el

Switch to recess lighting - help with Romex

Concur with the other guys here. Most electricians will try to avoid running travelers through multiple outlet boxes if possible, though it can save a little cable length if it's a big room. I always use 12/3 NM for 3-way switching vs. re-purposing two 12/2. No mystery/superfluous wires. Of...
  12. Mikha'el

Gas WH in garage closet

Hi all, I'm moving my gas-fired WH to a new dedicated closet off the garage - can it sit directly on the garage slab or should I build a platform? The old closet had one, but that was from 1989. Does the door have to be weather sealed? It will have outside air supply ducting. Best I can tell...
  13. Mikha'el

Need critique on residential plumbing layout

Yup... we're nearly 7 years into what was going to be a "refresh"... then you live in it awhile and get ideas, plans change, etc. Now after basically gutting the place and adding 600+ sqft I'm in serious git-r-done mode so we can sell up. Maybe build a treehouse (of sorts) out in the country. :)
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks