Recent content by Mike Garrod

1. Mike Garrod

Shut offs for wall mounted fixtures?

It’s a higher end home, some of the counters are floating and so any plumbing under the counter will be exposed. So it needs to look aesthetically pleasing.
  2. Mike Garrod

So then there has to be some kind of access panel?
  3. Mike Garrod

im installing a bunch of wall mounted lav faucets which I have never done before. Just wondering where and how the shut offs are usually plumbed. My thinking is that you just come out of wall, have an in-line ball valve, then go back into wall and tie into the rough in. Is this how it’s done...
  4. Mike Garrod

Expansion tank for hot water tank?

Thanks. I think I would prefer to err on the side of caution and install one like you said. It’s a small price to pay to for added protection!
  5. Mike Garrod

So you no longer install expansion tanks when there is a PRV? To me that requirement sounds pretty specific, meaning you have to have the Watts 25AUB-Z3. So you no longer install expansion tanks on hot water tanks if no PRV is installed?
  6. Mike Garrod

According to Canadian NPC, provision must be made for thermal expansion when check valves or pressure reducing valves are installed. Is the T&P relief valve sufficient to meet this requirement? Or must an expansion tank be installed. I always install an expansion tank when check valves are...
  7. Mike Garrod

Wet Vent Takeoff Argument

A wet vented Portion of pipe can’t reduce in size and toilets need to be furthest downstream wet vented fixture. Npc Canada code
  8. Mike Garrod

Backflow Preventer

Any time chemicals are involved backflow prevention is required. This is to protect the cities water supply. Say you had a sink full of dirty water with some chemicals in it and the hair sprayer was left submerged in this. If there were back flow conditions created there is potential for the...
  9. Mike Garrod

Plumbers: Which kitchen faucet brands are tops in quality/reliability?

Moen is a good choice. Not the fanciest. Not the crappiest. And 9 times out of 10 if something goes wrong just bring the cartridge in to Home Depot or somewhere like that for a free replacement. In my opinion Moen looks better than Delta too in most cases.
  10. Mike Garrod

ABS into old hub & spigot pipe?

Anyone know of any sure fire ways to tie ABS pipe INTO the hub of old hub and spigot cast iron pipe? I've seen a few ways online but wanted some plumbers who do a lot of service or residential reno's advice. I think Fernco makes a gasket, and I've also seen someone who used oakum and hydraulic...
  11. Mike Garrod

RPBA install req's

Well technically there is no 'maximum' height, but like I said, once it's over 60" a platform must be constructed. And it's 60" for accessibility/serviceability reasons. And all rp's should have drainage in place to catch discharge. You don't want water dumping all over the ground. While some...
  12. Mike Garrod

RPBA install req's

I am installing a Watts 2" RPBA. I have it installed at 6'4". I know max height is 60" unless a 'permanent platform' is built. My question is what is the definition/purpose of a 'permanent platform'? I have heard two differing opinions. One is that a platform is req'd solely for the testing...
  13. Mike Garrod

Cutting drywall for repipe

Lol. Drywallers. Sometimes it's truly unbelievable how clueless and careless they are. Nail plates are not needed if you have a drywaller who isn't a retard, but I'm not sure if that exists.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks