Recent content by mdr

1. mdr

Exterior gas cock vs. ball valve

Thanks Mr. Jad of Nashua. (pretty area, btw - I did some work for Nashua Corp - started in the winter brrrr for a CA person but got to continue experience the spring and early summer.) Yes, I understand that WOG = water oil and gas. As an engineer, you might also appreciate this tidbit from...
  2. mdr

Exterior gas cock vs. ball valve

Hi all, Running PE line for an exterior fire pit. I'd like to put a shut-off valve on the line as it exits the meter to allow me to isolate it from the existing under-house gas system. There are many valve choices and I'm trying to understand the differences between them. When I started this...
  3. mdr

pull points, junction boxes, and conduit bodies

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the perspective. I'll probably use c, the j box in place of the elbow.
  4. mdr

naw. >360 degrees of bend. Not worried about getting the fish tape in, but trying to address the code issue of no more than 360 degree of bend in a raceway without a pull point.
  5. mdr

I'm installing a feeder circuit to a detached garage. For a variety of reasons, the conduit will pass under the house (through crawlspace), out through an LB, run underground and then into the garage. I'm trying to figure out the layout under the house. Because of the house's configuration...
  6. mdr

Laundry/Utility sink drain size.

Thanks Terry! I really appreciate your running of this forum. You and the other participants provide great advice and perspective.
  7. mdr

Laundry/Utility sink drain size.

In the midst of a rehab of our laundry room. Picked lots of good info about venting here -thanks, Terry for the standpipe/sink picture! (lots of sweated joints- I learned about taking your tme, cleaning the fittings, ..., after redoing it several times - but passed an air test yesterday.) In...
  8. mdr

Appliance gas shutoff valve accessibility

Thank you all. It seemed reasonable, but I wanted to have the perspective of someone with greater experience. As shacko says, it's often done in kitchen installs, say a gas cooktop. However hj's comment concerns me as my gas range's shutoff is stubbed from the floor and hidden behind the range...
  9. mdr

Appliance gas shutoff valve accessibility

Hope I'm not violating forum protocol. I tried this in the UPC code forum, but I don't think there's much traffic there, so I'm asking this here. I'm rearranging a laundry room configuration and don't want to move a gas line fitting. CA code, based on the UPC, requires an appliance gas...
  10. mdr

appliance gas shutoff valve accessible?

appliance gas shutoff valve accessible? - moved by author I'VE MOVED THIS TO THE "General Plumbing Forum" FOR GREATER VISIBILITY I'm rearranging a laundry room configuration and don't want to move a gas line fitting. CA Title 24, Part 5 requires an appliance gas shutoff valve be...
  11. mdr

angled vent stack and flexible p-trap

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I redid the drain/vent from crawlspace to roof penetration today and added a cleanout in the crawlspace. Also reworked the cold water supply so the stuboutst were centered on the trap and both stubs where at the same height.
  12. mdr

Thanks Jerry. I'm planning to go that route, i.e., replacing it all the CI with ABS. I won't even have to use couplings - there is ABS near the roof penetration and below in the drain line - so I'll just have to solvent into those.
  13. mdr

Thanks for your advice hj. I have easy access to the back wall of the plumbing, so ripping off and replacing the drywall won't be too bad. However, If I were to follow your suggestion, once the old waste arm is cut out, how would I attach the new waste arm to the cast iron tee? Your previous...
  14. mdr

Hi, Simple question: Does the requirement that a horizontal vent run must be 6" above the flood level rim apply to a vent run angled at 45 deg to run around obstructions? More detailed question: I'm correcting a remodel (previous owner) of a small 1/2 bath. Of course, I keep peeling...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks