Recent content by Lordoftheflies

1. Lordoftheflies

Shower Faucet Identification Please

Thanks a lot. Ended up finding it online and the parts only cost $5.55 each but the shipping and tax brought it to $30. Thank you again for identifying it. Worked out well.
  2. Lordoftheflies

Thank you so much. I threw out my back so I have been out of commission for days. Feeling better now. Thank you very much appreciate it.
  3. Lordoftheflies

Need to help a neighbor replace his escutcheons in his shower. Had a plumber quote him $1800. Hm. Sounds a bit high. Wondering if anyone can identify them easily. Thank you in advance.
  4. Lordoftheflies

Grout creeping out of shower drain?

He has galvanized for his vent line and so do I. Even if the mortar bed wasn't constructed properly (which it probably wasn't) I still don't understand how grout can creep UP HILL against the pitch of the floor of the shower. That is just the weirdest thing.
  5. Lordoftheflies

I know that's not from 1947 - I was just saying his house was built the same time as mine. That said, everything in my house was a disaster and likewise in his. The neighbor said he had scrubbed/scraped it a bit which is why the part creeping out is whiter on the tile...but he said it's the...
  6. Lordoftheflies

Hi. I am posting for my neighbor who has a shower stall on the first floor. He has the same exact house as me (1947 Cape Cod) and probably has all the problems I had. He said he noticed that the shower drain has this weird white substance that appears to be climbing OUT of the drain up against...
  7. Lordoftheflies

Best way to plumb 2-way diverter and mixing valve for shower/tub?

With no information on the size of your house, how far away you are from the water heater, how big your incoming lines are, how big your main lines are, whether or not you have a PRV and what it's set to, if you have a filtration system and if so if you have the 20gpm high flow filters, how your...
  8. Lordoftheflies

Confused about mortar under tubs...

I feel like everything you asked is in this thread already. That said, I would get more bags of mortar than you think you need. Ask me how I know this. Consistency, as others have said I'm sure, is like moist sand, but more sandy than moist. You don't want a soupy consistency, you want it on...
  9. Lordoftheflies

1947 Cape Cod Attic Insulation Advice Needed

I had senty earlier reply without seeing your post with the pictures. That's definitely strange - my best guess is they added that weird roof addition to accommodate the extension of the living room....but I don't know why someone would go through all that trouble for such a small extension...
  10. Lordoftheflies

The air in your attic.....should have nothing to do with the air in your house....if it is properly sealed. That's kind of the whole point of what I did - I filled ALL the gaps, be it too plates, waste stack chase, electrical wire holes, or any other gap - in order to keep the inside house air...
  11. Lordoftheflies

Good luck just take your time. I skipped once wearing the full tyvek suit. Definitely recommend cutting the feet off and just duct taping it to your boots. Had zero traction with the feet. And then I had to patch from the bedroom which wasn't so bad but obviously would have been better if...
  12. Lordoftheflies

Oh and don't forget about the crawl space either. You have little short access doors in each bedroom, right? Any built in dressers like me?
  13. Lordoftheflies

There is no other way than to tape the doors to your upper floor, find a "joist" which in my case was a 2x4, cut a hole in the hallway ceiling, get a proper high quality mask, and get up there with a ladder. I already know you have no air sealing and an insufficient amount of insulation. I...
  14. Lordoftheflies

Just the other day my neighbor, who has the exact same house and the exact same problems with the heat escaping in the winter and just baking the upstairs in the summer, had a discussion about temps. I told him downstairs was 76 without ac and upstairs was 77. He said downstairs was 71 with AC...
  15. Lordoftheflies

Hi. Thanks for the kind words. I noticed an Immediate difference the day I finished the install. A few days later I slept with the windows open and no ac for the first time in the summer since we moved in in 2006. When you walk up the stairs no longer are we not in the face with a wall of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks