Recent content by ktambascio

1. ktambascio

Bathroom lighting plan

hj: Yes, I might have that problem. I am putting two 5" cans in the shower, and I bought a vanity light. I'm going to wire it up and see how bright it is at night. if it's not enough light, I will add some additional smaller lights, because each light won't give me much coverage. Just going...
  2. ktambascio

Bathroom lighting plan

Sorry....question was whether or not the lighting plan I suggested would be suitable or not. I was planning to use 6" recessed cans. I just remodeled my 10'x14' family room, putting in 6 6" recessed cans with 40 watt halogen bulbs. Plenty of light, but there's also a lot of windows in that...
  3. ktambascio

Bathroom lighting plan

Hi, Building a new bathroom in our basement. It's 5'x9', with a 30" vanity, and a 3'x5' shower (tiled). I'm thinking about having some kind of wall-mounted light above the vanity/mirror, a recessed light in the middle (above the toilet), and a recessed (waterproofed) light above the shower...
  4. ktambascio

Patching concrete floor after rough plumbing

C NUMB, I was just reading this post that if it's a dry vent system, you can use a sanitary T on it's back. If its a wet-vent, there's no way you can do that because of the sharp bends. The vent system is dry...there will be a connection to my existing house stack 42" + 6" + couple more...
  5. ktambascio

I took some higher-res photos of the DWV system. http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.tambascio/BasementBathroom#
  6. ktambascio

I'm struggling a bit here...but I found this picture from the B&D book that I have been using...
  7. ktambascio

If the wye's are horizontal, could backup then enter the vent more easily? I thought the wye had to be more vertical to prevent that, and always keep the air flowing...
  8. ktambascio

Hi, I'm finishing up the rough plumbing for a basement bathroom. Looking at the hole I've created, I'm getting nervous about how/if I can patch this. I want to tile over top of this, so I want to make sure things are absolutely solid. A couple of suggestions from reading forum posts...
  9. ktambascio

Bathroom framing question

Thanks for all the framing advice....very much appreciated! In addition to the advice, I was also planning to put two studs where the sliding glass shower doors will go, to give it a solid place to attach, which will probably be 36" from the wall. Does it help to also add the horizontal...
  10. ktambascio

Jim, I've been on JohnBridge.com a lot lately, reading about the tile side of this. I do plan to use Kerdi and drywall for the shower (will still do a mud bed & curb, not use the Kerdi floor). I've drywalled many times now, but I never knew about the grain of the paper. If I do the drywall...
  11. ktambascio

I'm about to frame a 5x10 bathroom. Since neither dimension allows for 16" between each and every stud, what is the standard way of dealing with that? For example, for the 5' wall, would I put a stud at 16", 32", 48", and then 60" for the corner (leaving 12" in between the last pair)? Or...
  12. ktambascio

Vinyl floor/carpet tile removal

Jim: I couldn't find any of those test kits at Lowe's or HD, though the website claimed they have them. Looking at the tile more, I don't think it is 26+ years old (asbestos was banned in 1983), so I'm fairly convinced it is not dangerous. In fact, they still sell the same exact Armstrong...
  13. ktambascio

Vinyl floor/carpet tile removal

In preparing for our upcoming basement bathroom addition, I took my floor scraper and popped off about 5-6 12" grey vinyl tiles (they look like the everyday commercial ones). There was a black and beige glue bonding them to the concrete floor. After 5-6 (they all came up in one piece) it...
  14. ktambascio

Plumbing permit drawing -- asking for any feedback

Forgot to mention...the existing stack runs under the basement floor and out to the street. Plan is to start cutting the floor along the existing floor drain closest to the new bathroom to find the line. Instead of running another vent through to the roof, I plan to tie in the vent to the...
  15. ktambascio

Plumbing permit drawing -- asking for any feedback

I'm applying for a permit for my basement bathroom project. I'm attaching the permit drawings that I have done so far in the hopes of getting some feedback from more experienced folks. Thanks in advance, Kevin
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks