Recent content by Kabra

1. Kabra

Hot water fluctuating after taco 006e3

Eloy, I think the reason you didn't get a reply is that there's not enough information about your system to make any sensible suggestions. Some information describing the layout of your plumbing system or even some pictures I think would be helpful.
  2. Kabra

On-Demand Hot Water Circulation

Seriously? That analogy is vastly more inelegant than my hot water solution, and to use your word, it's downright absurd. I built a system that met a defined requirement. I did it because I couldn't find a plumber that could do it. I didn't have the knowledge to properly engineer it and I came...
  3. Kabra

In this application head is what was needed to increase flow and that's why the pumps are in series. One pump per loop is what I had and the 13' of head per pump isn't enough to get the flow that I wanted. At the estimated 4.5gpm the differential pressure is 27' to 30' of head. This setup works...
  4. Kabra

That's right because as velocity goes up head increases disproportionately. That's why 3.5 - 4.5 GPM is the sweet spot for 3/4 pex. Great performance and no turbulence concerns. And like I said in my last post if I didn't already have these pumps I would use a Taco 0013 3-speed pump that handles...
  5. Kabra

For those that followed this thread I thought I would follow up and let you know where things have landed in my effort to find a sensible sweet between fast hot water delivery and not damaging my plumbing with excessive flow rates and turbulence. If you recall I used two Taco 006e3 pumps in...
  6. Kabra

1 x 150 is the longest. 2 x 100 give or take, and 1 x about 50'. But each loop operates individually and more than one open at a time effectively never happens.
  7. Kabra

1" pipe or whatever gets to 7gpm. I was talking specifically about 3/4 PEX nd neglected to say that. But the point is the charts assume something about the pipe diameter. So for your .03 or .04 per foot of pipe, for that to apply you need the right size pipe.
  8. Kabra

I made a mistake describing the results from the sizing calculator. I didn’t include fittings and valves. It’s 34’ of total head including that.
  9. Kabra

That factor of .03 assumes a gpm of 2.5gpm. You did make an adjustment for fittings but not for the higher gpm. I got very tripped up with this too and that 2.5gpm for circulation pumps I found is overly engrained as an assumption. Taco has a pretty simple sizing calculator called “DHWR” that...
  10. Kabra

I got tripped up by it too and
  11. Kabra

I see what it is and it's just a simple oversight. It's not the chart but using an invalid head number. You need to know what GPM to target to determine approximate head using pressure drop tables, and then use that head with the chart. So for 8gpm in 150' of 3/4 PEX head is 42' which is of...
  12. Kabra

Thanks for posting that. The point about the bacteria is something I hadn't thought about. Not sure it matters for hot water but I'll definitely think about it. Looks like the proper valves are around $100 each or a little more.
  13. Kabra

Nothing was wrong, it worked great. I just always wished for faster hot water delivery. I realized I could reconfigure the system to work with a common pump(s) and get rid of all the check valves since I had added the solenoid valves as a modification. And because I had three extra pumps I...
  14. Kabra

I think I see why you're asking that. He seemed to be referring to pressure drop tables rather than the pump chart which I think you are. According the chart using the 6.75' of head that you estimate definitely shows around 8gpm. But the pressure drop table says 42' of head for 8gpm in 150' of...
  15. Kabra

I spoke with with a Taco tech support rep this morning about my application and went through all the numbers. He confirmed that there is a startup ramp but it's just a few seconds and I'm over estimating it quite a bit. He also confirmed all the math was correct and the differential pressure...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks