Recent content by Julio Vargas

1. Julio Vargas

Water Heater Dilema

I have a feeling that what you just described with the addition will be our situation. The addition that is here now will be much improved when we go to 2x6 construction with much better sealing. There is no insulation on the slab on grade. I had an energy auditor out to perform an audit and...
  2. Julio Vargas

Water Heater Dilema

Dana, thank you for taking a look at my numbers. I think I can provide some context that can shed light on the situation. House details: - 1970's 2x4 framed mediocre insulation, no insulation on basement poured concrete walls, half of the house has a sloped roof with minimal insulation, single...
  3. Julio Vargas

Water Heater Dilema

Dana, I am absolutely intrigued by this hydro-air solution for my house. I had 3 contractors come out to my house to have a look at my situation and one of them suggested I consider hydro-air. He explained to me how it works and how it would fit into my solution. I have done some reading...
  4. Julio Vargas

Water Heater Dilema

Wow that is some great info and timely as I am looking to do a complete overhaul of all the mechanicals in the house. Like you said, everything is really old and now is the time to get everything updated including water heater, furnace, and AC. The AC and furnace do share duct work but I will...
  5. Julio Vargas

Water Heater Dilema

This is a 88,000 btu natural draft gas furnace and it's from 1987. The hot water heater is 40,000 btu 40 gal unit, also natural draft. The hot water heater uses a T to tie into the flue for the furnace. My guess is that the stack goes up about 2.5 stories, maybe 35 feet? Really guessing here.
  6. Julio Vargas

Water Heater Dilema

Dana, that's some great info, some of it a bit over my head. I am going to call a plumber off the AO Smith website tomorrow and have them come out to take a look at what I have going on so thanks for the insight on the AO Smith heaters. I am afraid that while the ability of the AO Smith direct...
  7. Julio Vargas

Water Heater Dilema

Hi, I am looking at replacing my water heater. An energy auditor determined my water heater was back drafting and it is 15 years old so I'd like to replace it as well as address the air quality issue with back drafting. I wanted to get a direct vent water heater but the height that the vent...
  8. Julio Vargas

Tub Drain Off by 1 5/8"

Hi Terry, thanks for the response. I was thinking of going from ABS to PVC using a banded coupling, then using 22.5 deg fittings to offset the overflow like in the pic below. If I can find ABS locally then I would just use that. Is the pic below what you were suggesting?
  9. Julio Vargas

Tub Drain Off by 1 5/8"

Trying to figure out what would be the easiest way to resolve this situation in my bathroom remodel. I have a hall bathroom down to the studs, it used to have a fiberglass shower that drained to a brass drain and overflow that was threaded into 2" schd 40 ABS. Currently the drain/P trap sits...
  10. Julio Vargas

Matching Toto Drake II to American Standard Americast Tub

Hi, I am currently remodeling a bathroom and have decided on a toto drake II. I will be installing an American Standard Americast tub and would like the toto toilet to match. I am pretty terrible with colors and I don't think I'd be able to do this from a color chip (...yes I am that bad with...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks