Recent content by Josh87

1. Josh87

Sump Pump Gurgle - Sealed Pit, Radon, and a Long PVC Run

I figured I'd update this post as I tried a few options and things have been working well. 1) I initially created an air gap by having the 1.5" white PVC pump into a 4" piece of PVC that then reduced down to 1.5" at the elbow in the ground. This worked okay and stopped the gurgle, but when...
  2. Josh87

Thank you for your help Reach4. I realize my previous post may have came across bad, I'm just trying to evaluate the responses I receive on this board as I've gotten bad advice in life. The Sanitary T and the AAV route is not something I've seen on other sump pumps, but so far sounds like my...
  3. Josh87

Thanks. Is that what a professional plumber or sump pump installer would do? Are you a plumber? I'm just curious.
  4. Josh87

So essentially replace that 90 that is pictured with a sanitary T and then extend a pipe up and see if any water shoots out of it? Maybe I will try just 6 inches of pipe without any PVC cement to see if it that works. The T goal of the T is to allow makeup air that is being siphoned by the...
  5. Josh87

Hi Reach4, The pump doesn't actually empty into that black pipe. The 1.5" PVC pipe goes into the ground, connects to a 90, and then travels 60 feet to the back of the yard. The black pipe was just there to protect the PVC from the weed wacker. I've updated the picture.
  6. Josh87

There is a good slope to the pipe as it travels to the edge of the yard. Would the air admittance valve be installed with a T on the horizontal part just outside the house? That is the highest part of the run. Or would a break / air gap on that vertical pipe (protected by the black corrugated...
  7. Josh87

Thank you for the response Worth Florida. The pump has been already set so that it no longer runs dry. I have checked the Zoeller check valve that is above the pit and it does hold water. I checked it by disconnecting it and then shoved a small piece of conduit up the pipe and water drained...
  8. Josh87

Hi Everyone, I posted about a shower drain a few months back and received very helpful advice from everyone - Many thanks! I'm back again and looking for some help about a sump pump gurgle issue. What basically happens is that after my pump runs for 1 minute, there are at least 30 seconds of...
  9. Josh87

Replace Lead Shower Drain.

I've never seen water on the floor in the basement bathroom and the laminate flooring that was down there on top of a vapor barrier showed no signs of swelling, so I don't foresee ground water coming up being an issue. The acrylic pan manufacturer requires a bedding mix base, so I do want to...
  10. Josh87

Hi Terry, First off, thank you! I removed a little concrete from the perimeter to improve access. Then I drilled some small holes through the oakum between the galvanized nipple and the cast iron hub. I then used a sawzall to make some verbal cuts in the nipple followed by hammering an old...
  11. Josh87

Thanks! It looks like I'll just have to cut vertically down through the fitting and I can then use the approach like you did here. I might need a different donut for the hub (opposed to the pipe), but we'll see how the nipple goes first.
  12. Josh87

Hi Terry, thank you for the response. Is there an easy way to remove the leaded steel nipple or do I have to either cut it from inside the pipe or remove concrete to get access? Also, is this the Fernco donut you have in mind? I don't see a way to tighten any hose clamps, so I'm thinking this...
  13. Josh87

Hi, I'm a first time poster here, but I've used this site for years and have gained a lot of great information from all of you! I'm redoing my basement bathroom shower on concrete slab and using information on your other threads, I removed a lead/oakum shower drain. I used the method of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks