Recent content by Joe B

1. Joe B

Navien CH-240 siphon hose leak, gas smell

Just fyi, my tech put in a temporary fix while we figure out a plan. He put in a little copper pipe stub, sealed it, and reattached a new replacement siphon hose that I had on hand. Just a short term fix to keep things operating.
  2. Joe B

The aluminum output nozzle that the black siphon hose connects to has completely disintegrated. Perhaps this is why the model years that came after mine are now plastic on the bottom! It's too bad, this Navien has been operating pretty well for 13 years. Looks like I am getting a new...
  3. Joe B

Dishwasher Supply Line - Hot or Cold?

For what it's worth, we have installed a Stiebel Eltron point-of-use heater under the kitchen sink and it has been flawless so far. I chose not to plumb the dishwasher to it, since ours seems to be fine with the cold/lukewarm it gets form the main hot water line. It's a ten-year-old Whirlpool.
  4. Joe B

State of the Tankless Market, 2024 Edition

For those experienced with tankless boilers, who has the highest quality product out there these days? Lochinvar? Bosch? Reem? Navien? I'm curious about some of the lesser-known high quality manufacturers too. Who's got the best boiler on the market that can do both hydronic heating and DHW...
  5. Joe B

Hi everyone, Could a leaking siphon tube also result in gas escaping from a Navien CH-240 boiler? I know - Naviens are fussy. But my CH-240 from back in 2010 has been humming along until just the other day. I found that it has begun leaking from the top of the "siphon hose" where it connects...
  6. Joe B

Shower valve... sideways?

Perhaps my first question is: if the seal plate / gasket is installed sideways, does that mean that the valve is installed sideways? If not, then why the heck might the seal plate be installed sideways, and is that going to allow water to intrude into the wall? I will definitely be asking my...
  7. Joe B

Here's the plumbing behind the wall, showing the old valve that has been replaced.
  8. Joe B

I just had a shower remodel completed and discovered that the hot/cold mix isn't right. So I followed the instructions to adjust the stopper, beginning with unscrewing the handle (Kohler Alteo Single Handle) and removing the escutcheon. Here is what I see... and I have some questions...
  9. Joe B

Would exposed PEX encourage algae growth?

Thanks Tuttles. Indeed, I have just covered up the exposed PEX with rubber/foam covering.
  10. Joe B

Dishwasher Supply Line - Hot or Cold?

Here might be one reason why. When the dishwasher is pulling hot water, but it takes a looong time for it to draw _actual_ hot water in the pipes. If it takes a couple gallons of running for the hot water to arrive, one might think, "well, I might as well connect it to the cold water anyway."...
  11. Joe B

Thanks everyone! After I patch the drywall I will cover the exposed stuff with well-sealed insulation to keep the light off it.
  12. Joe B

Thanks - what alternatives to 90 degree angles are there for the goal of bringing the valve outside of the wall? I was surprised that the plumber chose to use PEX instead of copper for the exposed part.
  13. Joe B

My water main shutoff in the garage seemed to have a failing valve that prevented it from closing all the way. Since the valve sat behind the drywall, with the knob protruding out, the plumber not only replaced the valve with a ball valve but also suggested he bring the pipe outside of the...
  14. Joe B

Navien CH-240 DIP Switch 4 and combustion

The gas smells from the exhaust, which runs through the garage, is a concentric intake/exhaust type, and exits through the wall of the garage. Run is about eight feet. The gas smells continuously while the unit is running. If the unit is running, and is exhausting, there is a gas smell at the...
  15. Joe B

Navien CH-240 DIP Switch 4 and combustion

@Fitter30 Just this past year. Burner analysis here. The air inlet filter is, and always has been, clean. I am also going to run a cheap endoscope from the concentric exhaust/intake to check for air intake blockages.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks