Recent content by jmcdowall

1. jmcdowall

Lead connected to cast iron waste

Success! Here is what I was dealing with: It was a brass fitting with a flange at the bottom, lead soldered into the cast iron hub. I tried the rotary cutter but I couldn't get the right angle. In case anyone comes across this same situation here is how I got it out. Tools: sawzall, hammer...
  2. jmcdowall

Thanks jadnashua After thinking about it, that would be the best way. I'm just hesitant to open that potential can of worms But I'll take a rotary cutting tool to the inner pipe tomorrow and see if I can't get the hub cleaned out.
  3. jmcdowall

Thanks for the reply Reach4 After a bit of wrangling I managed to remove some of the lead and i get this: The inner pipe is not lead Could it be galvanized steel? so it appears that there is the outer cast iron, then an inner layer of lead and the innermost layer of what could be steel. It...
  4. jmcdowall

Hi Here is what I have in my basement: The lead pipe is adhered to the inside of the cast iron, or adhered onto the second pipe material which is adhered to the cast iron. My guess is that the lead/whatever is soldered into the cast iron fitting Does anyone know what exactly is going here? And...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks