Recent content by James Robins

1. James Robins

New mod-con Indirect DHW heat transfer problem

It was quite some time ago, but I do think there was a clip at the time of initial install. I have all manner of paper clips and other wedgies. In any event, that will be up to the installer to get right. The 43 gallons is enough, no doubt, but the question is how quickly the marginal thermal...
  2. James Robins

I'm more concerned about the cold side contamination given our relatively low use overall. Toothbrushing with any lukewarm water would really give me the creeps. On the hot side, the mixing valve allows us to bring the tank temp up, and we are seeing a bit more than 160F after showers (Bosch...
  3. James Robins

Other than the insulation I added in the basement, there's no pipe insulation on the two DHW branches in wall or crawl space. I'd seen the cheap cold-water return devices - and I'm not real comfortable with the idea of running hot back through the cold side. The Laing looks more substantial. I'd...
  4. James Robins

Believe me my wife wants faster water. Anything less than hot in an instant is not good enough (her thoughts). Just a matter of wanting to keep things simple with fewer moving parts, less electricity, fewer piping connections, and avoiding the added cost. As it would involve asking for faster...
  5. James Robins

Jim, I think you have a good idea regarding the aquastat - and I didn't realize it was removeable. The installer had the sensor originally just snuggled in next to the aquastat mechanism surrounded by fiberglass. As for the concerns about how exactly the set up would work without multi-zoning...
  6. James Robins

Thanks, Jim. Yes, these units are same - and the most recent Laars manual (4/21) has the exact same specs and identical instructions. You raised the same questions I had at the time of installation. I still don't understand the reason for not having two zones, but was told that the Bosch boiler...
  7. James Robins

Wayne, you've raised good questions. The installer had the sensor in the normal place down there at first - and I'm pretty sure that the sensor is the one that was provided by Bosch. I'm guessing that Bosch does not want you installing the non-OEM tank's sensor due to whatever proprietary...
  8. James Robins

Thank you, Wayne. Correct - the white wire is going to the sensor on the hot supply above the tank. Installer indicated that the sensor cannot go inside the tank - I had the exact same question as he was putting it in. Obviously, this is the source of the problem - and a Bosch tank would be the...
  9. James Robins

Decided to post my problem here as I have benefitted greatly from Dana D's clear advice on various mod-con challenges posted, not to mention how others have chimed in, as well. In late March 2021 I installed a Bosch Greenstar freestanding 151 with Laars 50 gal. double wall indirect (rebadged...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks