Recent content by Glennsparky

1. Glennsparky

Choosing Electric Space Heater for Emergency.

Since the OP said "emergency" and "primary heat" failure, I could only imagine that the space heaters would be on the highest setting all night. Then I thought about how many back stabs the circuit might have gone through. As such, I only felt comfortable with numbers that reflected all loads...
  2. Glennsparky

Choosing Electric Space Heater for Emergency.

For 120V circuits, 1440 Watts will max out a 15A breaker. 1920 Watts will max out a 20A breaker. You have to add up the heater watts and the watts of anything else plugged into that circuit.
  3. Glennsparky

Panel grounding question

Wahoo33, hello from Orlando. Both grounding system types are to code. Both structures are fine. The rebar ground attached to the inside panel is a bit wonky, but not dangerous to people. Do not remove it under any circumstances. We do get a potload of thunderstorms in the sunshine state. Many...
  4. Glennsparky

Insulating plumbing / grouding wire

After the clamp that attaches the wire to the pipe, the wire does not need to touch, or even be near, the pipe. The wire does need to be protected from physical damage. That wire either is, or was, part of your grounding electrode system. Grounding is a very important safety feature of your...
  5. Glennsparky

How small can my service neutral be when most of the load is 240v?

Or no neutral. There's no code forcing you to bring a neutral to a box. But, then you could never use that box for a 120v load.
  6. Glennsparky

wiring a hot tub

Any amperage. Below 60A as long as it can still serve the load. Above 60A and it's short circuit interrupt function is superfluous. Every portable spa I've ever installed. Two space panel, one double pole GFCI breaker.
  7. Glennsparky

wiring a hot tub

yes yes. Happens all the time. Most spas have 120 and 240 volt equipment. For many it's a 240V pump and 120V blower. nope, as long as all other issues are to code.
  8. Glennsparky

Light Pole

Sorry to be a wet blanket. PVC (any kind) is not legal for this use. The National Electrical Code regulates 120 volt circuits. It sets out how long pipes can go unsupported and whether they're allowed to hold fixtures or not. The rules for low voltage are much looser. After a few hot sunny days...
  9. Glennsparky

wiring a hot tub

Not without a 15 or 20 amp breaker to protect the outlet. And not if the spa instructions say "dedicated circuit." It needs to be GFCI protected. If the 60A GFCI feeds a panel. That panel can have a normal breaker that feeds a normal receptacle. But that's a bad design. It's not necessary if...
  10. Glennsparky

Is this subpanel wired properly?

A panel feed must be sized for 100% of the non-continuous load plus 125% of the continuous load. With the spa, that's about 100 amps. Which means you'll barely squeak by if you change your hots to #3 copper or #1 aluminum. Now there's a label on that panel's cover. It will tell you the panel's...
  11. Glennsparky

Up grade/ retrofit lager combination service panel, delete flanges?

thank you to stickboy1375 for this link to "Notching and Boring - IBC Section 2308 & IRC R502.8 - R802.7.2." (it was news to me.) http://www22.pair.com/routt/building/handouts/notching.pdf this is the top plate section. R602.6.1 Drilling and notching of top plate. When piping or ductwork is...
  12. Glennsparky

Up grade/ retrofit lager combination service panel, delete flanges?

Your inspector has the final say. I've always found inspectors to be helpful and patient. Ask before you do the work. I like the idea of screws, but one inch is plenty long enough, or predrill. I'm worried you'll split the wood. Fun facts: conduit riser. Intermediate (IMC) is stronger than...
  13. Glennsparky

Neutral

Jimbo is correct. Put a small wire nut on the neutral and don't let it come in contact with anything.
  14. Glennsparky

Square D 2 pole breakers

I couldn't find any Square D replacements on Connecticut Electric's website. This product http://products.connecticut-electric.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=UBITB220C&CatId={7DF35B55-1A7B-4294-BC01-656D1BCDF640} may physically fit in a homeline panel, but it is not listed for it. So, not legal...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks