Recent content by ghetterly

1. ghetterly

Pipe says ABS, everything else says it's PVC.

Thanks for the input everyone! No other markings on the pipe or fittings in the kit, just the "ABS" ones like the picture. I think I will go with the transition cement just to be on the safe side.
  2. ghetterly

Pipe says ABS, everything else says it's PVC.

Hello! I have a couple of questions and I hope I won't come across as too dense. 1. I have a Kohler tub/drain to install this weekend in my main bathroom. The drain (K-7213) is made of white plastic pipe. The manual that came with the drain, the website I bought it from, and Kohler's...
  3. ghetterly

Major vibration

You mentioned a check valve. This wouldn't happen to be a Conbraco Dual Check? If it is, then any vibrating or "buzzing" sound is certainly from that valve. The springs inside it get weak and the valve chatters as it closes. I have been to hundreds of houses with these crappy valves...
  4. ghetterly

Receptacles per room

Cam525, The book you are looking for is called "Electrical Code Simplified" - Saskatchewan Amendments It will guide you through anything you're looking to do. I used it when I lived in Moose Jaw and re-did the kitchen counter plugs. I still have it kicking around here somewhere. My old...
  5. ghetterly

3" ouside fit flange too low...

Joe, I'm in Canada as well and things are slightly different north of the border! We use the all plastic flange all the time so don't worry about it. What I would do is cut the 3" pipe a little further down with a rotary tool. A 2" cutting disc in a drill will work just as well, but slower...
  6. ghetterly

Holmes on Homes, HGTV Sundays 9:00 PM

I'm not sure what season you're getting where you live, but if it's some of the older seasons just remember this: Mike Holmes is an ACTOR first and a CONTRACTOR second. Mike didn't have any contracting background when he started the show. He is fully trained and licensed now, but going...
  7. ghetterly

Shoddy Electrical work

Forgive me for sounding presumptuous but... I think the best thing for you to do is hold YOURSELF accountable. Caveat emptor. Become your own home inspector. Read up on all aspects of home construction and maintenance. Then you can do your inspection yourself and sleep easy knowing it...
  8. ghetterly

Shoddy Electrical work

Home inspectors in Canada are not required to be certified in anything. Any idiot (and I would suggest most fall into this category, at least where I live) can be a home inspector. You have found this out first hand. Home inspectors have no liability whatsoever. Their "service" is a...
  9. ghetterly

Normal pressure drop?

It's advertising exaggeration. Our Elster C700 (formerly ABB, formerly Kent) meters are rated basically the same but we see 18 gpm as a max. Our test facility is 100 meters from the primary pump for our city and water pressure at the outlet of the water plant is steady at 100 psi.
  10. ghetterly

Washer hose leak, how often do you change hoses?

Before I bought a Miele washing machine, I always replaced my cheap hoses every 2 years. New hoses would go on the washing machine and the year old ones would move to my plastic laundry tub. Old ones from the laundry tub go in the garbage. The ones that came with my new washer are...
  11. ghetterly

help me ID a sink -- this time w/ image

I installed a sink that looks very similar to that. It was sold under the "Rona" brand name. Made in China.
  12. ghetterly

Fiberglass Shower Tub surround Joist show through?

I'm going to suggest that it's SUPPOSED to look that way. Look at the bottom of the ridges. They finish in perfect, even scallops.
  13. ghetterly

New DWV below slab

Good call on the clean-out. I will extend the 3" line up into the wall and change to 1.5" vent after that. I'm not looking for an "ideal" solution, just something that will work well. Given the general lack of "you dummy" posts, I think this plan will work out fine. Thanks for your help...
  14. ghetterly

New DWV below slab

Hello! I've been reading for many months as I mentally prepare myself for my basement bathroom reno. The time has come (Canada Day) and now I'm looking for any final words of wisdom (or last rites). My 1950's house has an existing bathroom that I'm renovating. The original setup was not...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks