Recent content by DPJ

1. DPJ

Sizing boiler allowing for future expansion

At the risk of also getting unduly hung up on the length of the baseboard, I decided to peek under the covers, and measure the actual length of "Finned" baseboard throughout the house. Downstairs I knocked off 7 ft, but upstairs, I knocked 39' off my total. Most rooms had finned pipe under...
  2. DPJ

"Maybe they were unduly influenced by the size of the old boiler and the 180' of baseboard." OK, so I asked why the need for a 125k+ boiler, and he said 600 btu/ft x 180 gives the jumping-off point (108,000) He also said it will provide for quicker recovery for the new indirect. I have...
  3. DPJ

I'm very interested in that last paragraph. Current boiler operates at 180 2/7/365. I was also told that the Buderus 115 is very similar in design to the MPO iq 115. Would the buderus also be able to run at domestic hot water temps?
  4. DPJ

Thanks, So disregarding the future addition, what would be the upper limit size for a boiler with 180' feet of 3/4 fin tube (2 zones 100' upstairs, 80' downstairs)?
  5. DPJ

Not long winded...all great and appreciated information. I'm the type of person who knows a little about a whole lot of things, and I am always looking to learn more. The one question I have is why does anyone I call first ask if I know how many feet of baseboard I have? I've had four...
  6. DPJ

Dana - Thanks for the detailed response, I'm still digesting it. I replied with some more info yesterday, but apparently it didn't go through, so I'm trying again. Zip is 06524. Can't find K factor, but looked back through five years of bills, and winter months averaged between 120-180...
  7. DPJ

I'll be installing a new boiler soon in my 1835 2,000 sq ft farmhouse in CT. House has another uninsulated two story sheep barn attached to kitchen which I plan to finish a few years down the road. (about another 500 sq ft). I'm trying to weigh my options in considering sizing the new boiler...
  8. DPJ

Installing Burnham MPO IQ Boiler with more than two zones

Hi - Just trying to educate myself before I take the plunge and replace our old oil fired boiler. I'm just a homeowner with a basic knowledge of how these systems work, and am trying to learn more before I start meeting with contractors. Our current setup is an old Burnham RS Steel boiler...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks