Recent content by DetRack

1. DetRack

Watertest: Any indicators for corrosivity?

You are wrong. PH is a measure of ion content in the solution. When a softener removes CaCO3, the positive calcite ions are replaced by positive sodium ions. The number of positive ions in the water stays at the same level, and the pH is unchanged. If you read my laboratory results, you will...
  2. DetRack

But if I understand Langelier right, it's an old method that reduces corrosiveness on the effect that water has on calcium. If water reduces scale or dissolces calcium from mortat, it's consideed corrosive. If calciumcarbonate is precipitated, it's not corrosive. Is that still a valid...
  3. DetRack

Hi, I had a lab test my water at the faucet (behind the softener). It's city water, but not chlorinated - chlorination is only up to code as an intervention when a line breaks, not as a permanent measure by the municipality. The lab advised me (unasked) to blend the water so I get around 6...
  4. DetRack

Filter advice

Sorry, I missed the dot :)
  5. DetRack

Filter advice

Fwiw, is there a US code for the maximum nitrate in potable water? This is 5 times the 50mg/l allowed in Europe. Nitrate is cancerogenous.
  6. DetRack

Dilution of old CaCO3

It was just a mix of calcite and a bit of rust from the galvanized steel. Amido-sulfuric acid is the best stuff I know for limestone removal. It's used in professional coffee machines, it's cheap when bought in volume, and it's not aggressive to plastic seals and tubing. I wouldn't use it on...
  7. DetRack

Dilution of old CaCO3

So I got my residual hardness kit today. It consists of two bottles. First one drop of "RF-1" which is clear, then "RF-2" until the sample turns green. The resolution is 0.1 GPG per drop. The results: 0.1 GPG at the bypass (test-cock) 0.4 GPG from a cold-water faucet in the bathroom 0.6 GPG...
  8. DetRack

Scalemaster 150 Water Leak

No, kt shouldn't. In fact, you don't add salt to the water. The water loses all calcium and gets Sodium instead. This happens on a molecular level, and the resulting molecules are dissolved. You can't even filter them out with a sediment filter.
  9. DetRack

Water softener woes, need advice

Sure, the pressure will fall with a mechanical switch. Now, even if a pump delivers only 5gpm, it should not take long to refill the bladder. The observations: air Brown residue (iron sulfate or oxide) Slow refill While it's not enough for a conclusion, the observations suggest a simple test...
  10. DetRack

Water softener woes, need advice

Is there a clear filter before the softener where you may check if the air comes from the well, or a faucet for garden use? Your description of 60 psi being restored "within minutes" sounds like a well falling dry. Theflow from the brinjng is so low the pump should keep up with it and not need...
  11. DetRack

Dilution of old CaCO3

The tank of the heater gets flushed during the yearly maintenance, that was just a week before the softener was installed. The central heating is a Buderus system for >10k, I'm not touching that myself :) Using vinegar sounds like a plan. I just need to find a day where this can rest in the...
  12. DetRack

Dilution of old CaCO3

Hi and merry christmas :) our water softener has been up and running for three weeks and is doing a fine job :) 5.1cbm = about 1341 gallons were softened in the time. Our pipes are 30-50 years old and have substantial limestone buildup. While the flow is still acceptable, there is not much...
  13. DetRack

Softener settings check

Canadians speak English, not Anericanese :) Merry christmas to you, too :)
  14. DetRack

Sediment filter recommendation

This looks more like organic residue to me. Not sure if a disc filter would be effective against it, though. Is it possible you have snails in the well? If it‘s real clay particulate, it won‘t settle in a glass of water. I have some clay particulate in my irrigation well. Pita until you get a...
  15. DetRack

Clack WS1 CI: Pre- or post fill for 10 days?

My current override is 10 days. Based on the softener statistics, our water consumption is about 220l or 58 gallons per day. I know that sounds ridiculously low, but as I said in the other thread, our water is very expensive and we use as many water-saving appliances as possible. With a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks