Recent content by citydweller3033

1. citydweller3033

17yo WH in apt with multiple problems

Jeff - insurance companies and financing companies aren't usually well liked, but your story is different... their demand resulted in something helpful for the renters! Well, this is not in my favor (or, not in the favor of the person who lives here 10-15 years from now when this new WH goes)...
  2. citydweller3033

Rust on outside of electrical panel

I know it's brand new. Can you explain more about your concern about it?
  3. citydweller3033

It looks like after cutting the line, he crimped the line... not capped it, but crimped it. Maybe I can get a cotton swab in there, I'll check if I have any.
  4. citydweller3033

Jeff I'm impressed that you got a contract for 300 repairs like that. Someone in management must have wanted to reduce risk. This landlord has 6 buildings built exactly like this one, so probably 150 units. There's 40 studio apartments in this building. Three floors.
  5. citydweller3033

Good points Jeff. Its an interior closet, and the city said the old arrangement (no pan, no floor drain) is grandfathered in. I don't know if they would grandfather the gas line setup. The old T&P pipe actually piped uphill and no one has a clear idea what the pipe was that it was draining...
  6. citydweller3033

Here's the new one, it's nice! Not a sound other than the burner! The guys did an awesome job changing it out, with no mess and no noise. My cat slept through it all. Those SharkBite connectors are cool. Probably saved the crew a lot of time.
  7. citydweller3033

I got my new water heater today. Terry was a big help in getting me to understand the strange way that my old one was set up. Between the removal of the old unit, and the installation of the new unit, I went into the W.H. closet to clean up the floor and look around. The electrical panel is...
  8. citydweller3033

New Bradford-White water heater is getting installed right now. It's our usual building super who is doing the work, and he's worked here for years -- good guy, real thorough. That DWV line high on the wall -- "We're not sure where that goes." "Yours is only the second one we've seen that...
  9. citydweller3033

I understand! The light bulb is coming on. So it is okay to pipe the cold water higher just so you can have that high spot from which to add the valve. The 125PSI valve goes from the cold intake, into the DWV, but now it is flowing downhill as it should be. The 150 PSI valve either also...
  10. citydweller3033

And now I get it. You are saying that the cold water intake line might be at a taller height than the DWV connection, so that 125PSI discharge valve could use gravity to go into the DWV. Right? The only catch is, with my situation, the DWV connection is at a taller height than the cold water...
  11. citydweller3033

Terry you've got to forgive me for being a newbie to this, it is taking some time and thinking for me to understand. I found your other post about this from a few years ago. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/water-heater-over-temp-t-p-valve-piping-question.57693/ So it sounds like...
  12. citydweller3033

All this help is great. Thanks.
  13. citydweller3033

Got it, I think. I would guess that if we start fresh with a new tank, and religiously remove the TPR valve every year for inspection or replacement, that it would substantially reduce the risk of a relief valve clog due to corrosion or lime. Even if the piping (though not ideal) remains the...
  14. citydweller3033

Terry, this sounds good but I am not able to picture where you're placing that second relief valve (the 125PSI valve.). I think you're saying to use the manufacturer's TPR spot for the 150PSI valve and pipe it down, so I understand that part. Thanks!
  15. citydweller3033

At first I thought it was corrosion too, but the city inspector didn't have anything bad to say about it. So my other thought is it might be some kind of insulating material. CO readings are zero. I've got two CO detectors from two different brands... digital readout on the Kidde unit.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks