Recent content by ChuckGM

1. ChuckGM

"Method of Attack" advice please??

- just wanted to Thank you again. This saved me a LOT of heartburn! Yours is one of the best DIY sites out there!
  2. ChuckGM

Hmmmm - Thank you. I will look into that. The existing flange bolt area on one side is already broken so I will look for repair flange. Should it be connected to existing flange or just to the floor? - and I'm assuming that the type of wax ring with a plastic "funnel" attached might be best?
  3. ChuckGM

Toilet flange is 1" closer to wall (11") than desired. Already have the new toilet (not returnable) - standard 12". House is 1952 - cast iron. I can't do the "alcove" behind the tank deal because of stack and parallel vent location. The I.D. of my cast iron below the toilet is 3 1/2" -- My...
  4. ChuckGM

AAV use question

- Hard to explain - There is no real "problem" - yet, because several of these fixtures have never really been used regularly. It might all work "fine." I just became aware of how it is plumbed and realized it's not really up to standards. I guess my question comes down to wondering IF I were in...
  5. ChuckGM

AAV use question

;-) - might you expand on that a bit, so I understand why not?
  6. ChuckGM

AAV use question

Let's say you have an old house in which a few "remodeling" jobs have been done and while fixtures "are" vented, the auxiliary vent line they are all connected to is not technically adequate to handle all the DFUs involved. e.g. several basement fixtures are hooked into a 1.5" line in the...
  7. ChuckGM

Help a desperate DIYer...?

- sorry, follow-up.... So the existing vent that goes up stairs is 2" - If I add a run over to that 2" vent for the bath lav/laundry/kitch sink... does that new run also have to be 2"? - or could I use 1.5" for those 3 fixtures?
  8. ChuckGM

I believe I have it... last question: So I tie into the vent system for the bathroom sink/kitchen sink/laundry - venting each into a shared "stack" above the flood rim that goes back to where the others vent.... What diameter does that new venting need to be?
  9. ChuckGM

I'm fairly certain I did that correctly. it's under a lot of cement now tho so I'm not going to look. ;-)
  10. ChuckGM

Ok - so, if I'm understanding correctly, it all would have been fine as a horizontal wet vent if I'd stopped with the bathroom sink - (?) but the addition of laundry (and you are correct - kitchen sink - behind bathroom sink) to the same drain system requires that each fixture be vented...
  11. ChuckGM

I apologize in advance. I know we DIYer's can drive you guys nuts sometimes. But, here I am.... - Building a basement apartment. My diagram is the basics of the drain plumbing in the floor. The 4" drain to the left hooks into the main sewer line of the house about 6' left of this new toilet...
  12. ChuckGM

Help me trace a fault?

Oh shoot... "D." --- My 200A main panel (square D) has a neutral bar on each side (grounds and neutrals mixed) - Is there one on each side simply for "convenience"? or are they tied in differently somehow?
  13. ChuckGM

Help me trace a fault?

Okay - I continue to learn - this is awesome! couple more questions. A. - I don't remember that it was answered specifically (?) so, I'm still thinking that shared neutrals might very well be my cause of "ghost current" - right? B. - What is the downside with using a single pole afci/gfci...
  14. ChuckGM

Help me trace a fault?

You guys are great - and thank you again for carrying on this conversation with me! When you're attempting to answer my questions remember I'm a retired air-traffic controller not one of you! ;) So, to follow up on the last. For me, for practical and safety purposes, in an old house (my...
  15. ChuckGM

Help me trace a fault?

Okay - This is interesting stuff!! You've both been VERY helpful on this thing! Now, to take some of your "professional" discussion and break it down a little bit. :) I follow that a 2-pole breaker is essentially automatically on 2 legs of the service and the neutral should not be shared...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks