Recent content by ChitownGuitar

1. ChitownGuitar

3.5 gallon toilets w/rear spud needed - help!

Thanks everyone for the responses. Let me try to respond to the last few since my last message: Terry: First, thanks for taking the time to post in this thread. Second, to address your comments, you'll note that the tank was completely full on the first flush. This has happened a lot, so I...
  2. ChitownGuitar

Given the additional cost associated with inspecting the pipes again after a camera did not detect anything unusual the first time, our best bet in my opinion is to get as much water flowing through the pipes as possible and hope that backups do not recur, thereby stopping the leaks. If the...
  3. ChitownGuitar

Interesting. Well, I will monitor the situation and see if the leaks continue. I agree, it sounds like it should never leak in the wall...but since it only seems to be a problem when the toilets back up, maybe by preventing the backups, we can solve the problem that way. Plus, preventing backups...
  4. ChitownGuitar

Since the problem keeps happening in the same spot, and the unit owners are aware of it, I don't think it is an issue of people not owning up to flushing something down the toilet that shouldn't be flushed. Jimbo, you're right, no part should leak. But when it does, the toilets are backing...
  5. ChitownGuitar

No, the leak on the first floor is not coming from an overflowing toilet on the second floor. It's coming from somewhere in the wall, likely because of the blockage in the pipe. At least that's the only solution we can come up with. I believe the folks who live there did use a camera, and the...
  6. ChitownGuitar

So when you see the youtube video I posted, what is your thought? I don't think there are any other 1.6gpf rear-outlet floor-mounted toilets out there other than the American Standard one that we have. Yet, we have two other 3.5gpf rear-outlet floor-mounted Kohlers from 1981 that work like a...
  7. ChitownGuitar

You may be right that pipes for 1.6 gallon toilets may be smaller than those for 3.5 gallon toilets. That would make sense, as 1.6 gallons of water going through a smaller pipe could have the same "force" as 3.5 gallons going through a larger pipe. But regardless, our issue is that the 1.6...
  8. ChitownGuitar

Guess it didn't take as long as I thought. Here is the video on YouTube. This definitely would not happen with a 3.5 gallon model. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KLnoWfHlK0
  9. ChitownGuitar

I believe my wife and I have a Yorkville, actually. It is an American Standard 1.6gpf that is floor mounted and rear outlet. Anyway, if we put a piece of toilet paper in the front of the bowl and then flush, the paper does not go down. Only paper above the hole gets flushed. This is a problem...
  10. ChitownGuitar

Thanks. We won't need 14, as only a few of the unit owners have replaced their 3.5 gallon originals with 1.6 gallon models (or added bathrooms in the last 10 years and thus purchased 1.6 gallon models). We might need maybe 5 or 6 though. We already purchased one used 3.5 gallon model at a...
  11. ChitownGuitar

Help! I live in a 14-unit condo building, and I am on the board. The building is old, having been formerly a candy factory. We have been having some extremely damaging leaks occuring as a result of 1.6 galllon toilets being installed in our current infrastructure, where there used to be 3.5...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks