Recent content by Canada_DIY_Plumber

1. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Is it normal to have this many Fernco fittings?

There is a leak in my condo building. The restoration company opened the ceiling to find this. What am I looking at? Is it normal to have this many Fernco fittings? Is it possible this was done during construction or does this mean that repairs were previously done on this section of pipe?
  2. Canada_DIY_Plumber

A few questions about shims and mortar for tub install - with pics

I'm finally at the stage where I will be installing the tub. It fits well in the alcove and is almost level. I think I will be able to get it completely level by adjusting the legs. There is about 2 3/4" between the floor and the bottom of the tub. Edit: Since 2 3/4 is more than the...
  3. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Stacking leak - Can I build a high loop?

What do you mean by that? I was thinking of just running the shower pipe to about 90" and then putting in a u-turn. I think that would still drain...
  4. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Stacking leak - Can I build a high loop?

The reno challenge today is trying to set the height of the showerhead high enough so that it won't drip water while trying to fill the tub. We bought a deep tub (23" to the shelf of the tub) and my wife is 5' tall so she would like the shower head as low as I am willing to go. She does not...
  5. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Wedi Board - Can't hang over thick tub flange - what to do?

If I do fur it out and then do a notch cut, what is the best way to transition to the drywall now that the tile section of the wall will be proud of the drywall?
  6. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Wedi Board - Can't hang over thick tub flange - what to do?

Kerdi-Board is basically sold out locally so I am trying out Wedi and can't figure out what to do with this tub flange. The tub has a thick flange. It's basically a full 1/2 inch. Unfortunately, I can't fur out the wall by 1/2 inch to drop the Wedi over the flange because then it will create an...
  7. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Is this example to code? Vent question

Every province in Canada has their own code but I believe they all follow the national code fairly closely. I was trying to think about why it is the code... one thought is that kitchen drain waste may be more likely to clog the wet vent vs what runs down a tub or lav. That's not an entirely...
  8. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Stacked san-tees would be way better because then I don't need to cut out the existing 2" cleanout and san-tee for the lav which was already in place and is well positioned. They will be tricky to cut out and replace due to a lack of clean pipe length and stud locations. I can just cut out a...
  9. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Thanks all. Glad I have reached the DIY stage where I can pick-up on certain obvious mistakes. My rough-in is a little tricky and I don't know if it will be to code. I have two sinks back to back sharing one 2" drain. One is a lav (vanity) sink and one is a kitchenette sink. There will be...
  10. Canada_DIY_Plumber

I'm going through some articles to find my rough-in heights for a 36" tall kitchen sink and vanity. It seems like 16" off the floor will work for both. But in the process I came across this article and I'm confused about why they ran their drain like they did...
  11. Canada_DIY_Plumber

New case of water hammer when we flush the toilet

Mystery solved: My wife had used the hose recently and didn't completely close the valve. The noise appears to have been originating at the anti-siphon valve at the hose bib and then reverberating throughout the house. I think the solution is to just turn off the tap at the hose bib when we...
  12. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Thanks all. I'll see if fooling around with the valve helps and if not, I will look at replacing it.
  13. Canada_DIY_Plumber

When we flush our toilet, we are hearing loud water hammer somewhere in the walls that goes on for a good 5-10 seconds. I have confirmed it is when waster is supplied to the toilet and not a venting noise by turning off the water supply valve and then flushing, and then turning the supply back...
  14. Canada_DIY_Plumber

Toilet flange not attached to anything except the drain pipe

Thanks all. It sounds like the best option is to: - Cut out the existing set-up about 2" off the floor. - Glue on a 4" coupling - Glue in a short section of 4" pipe - Glue in a male 4" toilet flange that will sit on top of the new tile floor - Screw that flange securely through the tile/sub floor
  15. Canada_DIY_Plumber

1/2 or 3/4 PEX for a pipe feeding a washing machine and tub/shower?

Thanks. In that second chart... I will have 6 fixture units for this run (shower + clothes washer). So it looks like it is saying my developed length will need to be less than 40 feet if I go with 1/2" and could be more than 40 feet if I go with 3/4"? This stuff will probably be within 30 feet...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks