Recent content by Brendon

1. Brendon

Installing Central AC options in 1980s House

I agree Dana, mini splits with wall mounted evaporators is the wrong approach for each room of the house. I've always been of the mindset that it'll take some significant planning, and ultimately, a "hybrid" approach that makes sense, comfort-wise, along with financial and visually. After...
  2. Brendon

Yes, I just had a company come out and they're proposing 8 ductless evaporator units, basically one for each bedroom and one for each living room area. They do almost exclusively ductless....I'm not sure that is the right solution for our needs.
  3. Brendon

Wow that was a pretty intense knowledge bomb dropped on me, thanks! Sounds like I've some work to do in terms of insulation in the basement.
  4. Brendon

Thanks for the thoughts Dana! It is oil-heat basedboard radiators, and has a brand new Buderus heating system. Unfortunately, I can't provide a sketch of the floor plan or run the cooling load calculation at this time (i've tried, but it's a bit more technical than what I'm looking to do)...
  5. Brendon

Greetings professionals! I'm on South Shore in Massachusetts and have just purchased a 1980s colonial with no central air. To paint a picture, it is 3400 sf, attached 2-car garage with a "great room" above the garage. The first floor has 4 rooms: a kitchen, dining room, living room, and...
  6. Brendon

Boiler Replacement Dilemma

Done. I followed up with HTP who then put me in touch with a local distributor. I asked for some recommendations in my area and got a couple names of those HTP techs.....of course, they could just be giving me the names of those that pay their invoices on time! ;) We'll see, I'll need to...
  7. Brendon

Terrific perspective, thank you Dana. Based on your well-stated and eloquent thoughts, the answer seems obvious, which is to go with an option like the Mod/Con HTP. Given that I have 3 young kids and warm baths are every night, we've had many issues running out of hot water, which makes for a...
  8. Brendon

Great thoughts. In calculating the radiators, it breaks-down as follows: Zone 1 - Main living area, 1350 SF: 79 Linear feet of baseboards. With programmable of 65 degrees day/62 night Zone 2 - Lower level, 650 SF: Currently 20.5 Linear feet of baseboards. I'd like to add an additional room...
  9. Brendon

OK, thanks Dana, I'll take some additional measurements! I should add that in the years we've lived there, we've replaced the windows with double-insulated glass, replaced the doors, added blown-insulation in the walls and in the attic, all the way up and slightly over the rafters. The result...
  10. Brendon

Ok Dana and professionals. I am back. I've gathered some data and shared it below, now that I've received my most recent gas bill. Therms: January, '19 (32 days) = 177 Therms Current boiler: 120k BTU Input, 96k BTU Output Looking at 65 degree days for same time period = 1083.5 Looking at 60...
  11. Brendon

Thanks Dana. I'm having a hard time finding a recent bill as wife has paid/shredded. Any other alternatives? Additionally, is there any local hvac expert that you trust can make the approrpriate calculations? Frankly, I'm not sure I have all the inputs and would prefer a professional make...
  12. Brendon

Hi Professionals. First off, a big THANKS for your advice! I am in HIngham, MA where it is a bitter 6 degrees F today. My original 1965 American Standard Gas boiler and direct hotwater tank circa 2004 are due for replacement. Our house is approximately 2k sf of heating space...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks