Recent content by big_rat

1. big_rat

Bathroom remodel copper and brass drains

Thanks I poked it and it was solid. A light sanding with emory cloth and it comes right off.
  2. big_rat

Does anyone know if I should do anything with the corrosion on the outside of the copper drain stack? It appears to me that the plumber who installed it didn't clean the flux out that well. Should I wipe down the pipes with something?
  3. big_rat

I've done piles for a tub install before but this tub that I'm installing is unique. It does not have a side skirt so I will actually be able to get in with my hands or a stick and shove the mortar all around and under the tub.
  4. big_rat

The instructions say to fully level and support the tub with mortar or something along those lines. I can always ask them if they are cool with the idea of using plastic. They seem to be ok with everything I've asked. How do you feel about the small space around the drain that won't be...
  5. big_rat

I've been doing some research on how to set the tub on a mortar bed. I'm going to use the sand mix that the company recommends. I will have 2x3 or 2x4s on 3 sides of the tub as stringers. I have a few questions. 1) I have a 8"x16" cutout around the drain so that I can cut the pipe, weld the...
  6. big_rat

Should I be cleaning the copper corrosion on the outside of the pipes before I finish the walls? There do not appear to be leaks.
  7. big_rat

BTW why is it called a 4x3 spigot closet bend instead of 4x3 street closed bend?
  8. big_rat

Thanks I love the idea about using the 4x3 and having the pipe stick up above the finished floor. That will make life a lot easier.
  9. big_rat

What is a long reach outside flange? Can you show me an example? The 4" toilet flange that I have has a longer neck than the 3" one, is that considered a long reach outside flange? Anything wrong with my idea to use a 4x3 closet elbow (like this one...
  10. big_rat

Ok got it. I will use glue fittings and just put the drywall back. When I fit everything together, is the best test to fill up the tub to the overflow and check every joint? How much time should I test before I call it good? My other issue I've just realized is my long turn elbow for the toilet...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks