Recent content by Bearman731

1. Bearman731

Very unusual water meter reading

Hi all, So I finally have some closure. I had a plumber come out. He's confident it's a very small water leak in the main line between the curb and the house. He said the reason the meter sometimes stops (especially at night) is because the city of San Diego changes it's water pressure at...
  2. Bearman731

Another thought I had. If the meter stops running at night, could it be that the concrete pathway contracts at night time stopping a small leak in the main waterline? And then as the day warms up, the concrete expands a little allowing a leak?
  3. Bearman731

If my water usage is staying the same, my bill hasn't gone up, the only thing that can contain several cubic feet of water without any evidence of visible leakage elsewhere would be the water tank. Unless there's an intermittent leak under my turf somewhere that I can't see? I also don't have...
  4. Bearman731

Ok so I did the first test. I shut off the main. Turned on the upstairs faucet until it completely drained out and stopped. Then waited a few mins and when I turned the faucet on, nothing happened. Then I decided to turn on my hosebib that is immediately after the PRV (which is immediately...
  5. Bearman731

Also, during normal periods when I turn a faucet on in the house, is it normal to hear a constant rushing sound at the main shutoff in the garage that lasts as long as water is being used, and then becomes silent onces faucet is turned off?
  6. Bearman731

Also, during normal periods when I turn a faucet on in the house, is it normal to hear a constant rushing sound at the main shutoff in the garage that lasts as long as water is being used, and then becomes silent onces faucet is turned off?
  7. Bearman731

Wouldn't having an expansion tank nullify this issue?
  8. Bearman731

Hi Tuttles, To clarify, If the water system has pressurized again, would water be flowing the second time I opened the fixture? So this would indicate that water is creeping past the main garage shutoff? How long should I wait to open the fixture the second time? Because if it's a very slow...
  9. Bearman731

Hi Jeff, So it is true when the meter decides to run (usually in the afternoon/evening), it'll turn slowly even if the garage shutoff is turned off. But it'll always stop by the morning. Furthermore, my average water use has not changed, bills are roughly the same, and usage is actually less...
  10. Bearman731

Ok here's another test that I did. Yesterday evening when the meter was slowly spinning, I turned the garage shutoff off. Then I noticed the triangle continue to spin for a couple hours, showing 1 cubic foot of water usage in 2 hours. Then I had to turn the garage valve back on because family...
  11. Bearman731

7. Woosh was really quick. Almost instantaneous as I turned the valve. 8. Probably on the order of 3-4 minutes? I should've timed it. It moved approximately 0.17 cubic feet of water from the woosh to the time it stopped turning. Meter is mechanical.
  12. Bearman731

Let's say hypothetically if I mucked around with the PRV (actually not a hypothetical situation, this actually happened) and didn't take into consideration the expansion tank, could the expansion tank then be filling? Basically wondering whether any sort pressure differential can cause water to...
  13. Bearman731

Can that happen, where the house pipes need time to get "refilled" until the pressure is equivalent everywhere? And that could cause a delay in the water meter returning to zero movement? Or another thought is, if the pressure in the system is dropping with water use, does water need to...
  14. Bearman731

PRV is in the garage near house shutoff valve there. My meter has two shut-off valves. One before the meter (street/city side) and one immediately after the meter (property side). The property side meter doesn't work (been broken for years). But it doesn't matter because I have a whole house...
  15. Bearman731

Can weather play a role in any of this? The meter just started spinning again ever so slightly. It was raining earlier but now things are starting to dry up (although slowly because it's still cloudy). I'm struggling to figure out why the meter would be spinning again. I'm inclined to think it...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks