You guys give the best plumbing advice, what do you know about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

HarleySilo

Reaction score
My dog is messed up. She can't walk very far and can't do stairs at all. So I need to build a ramp. After a bunch of research and is discussion I've scraped my original idea to build a handicapped ramp (to much work).

The deck will eventually be rebuilt, and a new ramp would have to be built, so keep that in mind. Here is what I plan to do....

CIMG1026.jpg

Oh, and those vents ya'll told me to install work just fine....

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rancher

That will probably work as long as it's only for the weight of the dog. I'm confused about the top ramp drawing, if I understand correctly the dog entry point to the ramp will be to the left of the HVAC, therefore you would never have a ramp that slopes in that direction, they would all slope up from left to right, with the entry point to the deck at the bottom right corner of the deck.

Correct?

Rancher

HarleySilo

Reaction score
That will probably work as long as it's only for the weight of the dog. I'm confused about the top ramp drawing, if I understand correctly the dog entry point to the ramp will be to the left of the HVAC, therefore you would never have a ramp that slopes in that direction, they would all slope up from left to right, with the entry point to the deck at the bottom right corner of the deck.
Rancher

Top ramp drawing is backwards, my dad drew it and forgot which way the slope of the ground is. Your understanding is accurate.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Great design idea, to wrap it around like that. Me like.

Like Rancher said, as long as it's just the dog... there's no kids in the neighbourhood, I hope? Personally, I'd put in some new posts, instead... but that's just me, I tend to overbuild. Since you said it's temporary...

A note on the supports: if you attach the post side of the angle lower, so the angle is closer to vertical, it will be dramatically stronger. The more "flat" the brace is, the more strain there is on your attachment points. Any angle flatter than 45, is a bit problematic... I'd attach the support as low on the post as possible - minimizes the loading for every connection that way.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
Option 1 would just be less work, less money.

I intend to be able to walk down the ramp.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
I think I could be comfortable using two 2"x6" for the angle support in option #1, one on either side of the posts.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is that your washer drain running out under the deck to the yard? :)

R

Rancher

Of course not, that might violate code (depending on where you live).

So therefore it must be from the downspout on the gutter.

Rancher

HarleySilo

Reaction score
That is B-dry's basement waterproofing back-up sump pump outlet.....FYI.

Harley is getting worse and isn't using her right leg for anything. Therefore she's not walking. Taking bathroom breaks in the same room we have her confined (per dr.'s orders). I lift her to standing position and if she trys to walk she falls on her face. Sad.

Still staring on the ramp tonight, in case she does get better.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If I believed in re-incarnation, I'd like to be your next dog. Just in case, I like my water dish to bubble. Nothing crazy like a jacuzzi but just a little turbulent to keep the water crisp. Oh and an ice cube every once in a while wouldn't be all that bad.

Thanks

Tom

cc_rider

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
You'll be happy you went ahead and did it right. My ex was in a bicycle accident and broke tib/fib and collarbone, which means a wheelchair for six weeks minimum. Her co-workers built a ramp at our house! Nice folks. Anyway, you may discover that sturdy ramp comes in handy for more than just your dog. But even 'just' your dog is reason enough: you're the kind of pet owner we all need more of!

Nice job!

c.

Construct30

Reaction score
No one seemed to say it, but in most areas you have to have a permit and get inspections on any changes to a deck that is over 30" to 36" high. Not a good idea for most people to try to get away with some thing like that. Most areas are really picky about ramps and decks. It can cost big bucks if they catch you.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
Yes I haven't finished the hand railing. It will look just like the currents decks handrails when I finish. Regarding a permit....this is a ramp for my dog. This is not intended to be a handicap ramp, not to say a person in a wheelchair couldn't use it, since I'm building it to the dimensions handicap ramps are required to be. This is also not intended to be a permanent fixture, although I am not building it cheaply or weak, and it would certainly last many years. This issue is that our deck is 20 years old, and the joists are rotten in the top 6 inches or so, from years of water damage because when the nailed down the deck the used huge nails and didn't pre-drill the holes and the basically split all the joists just enough to let water sit in them and rot them. The deck was borderline safe when we moved in, after sistering many of the joists I feel it is safe now. We plan to completely tear it down in a few years and build a new. I *might* get a permit then, might not. If I mimic the size shape and location of the old deck I won't. If I double it's length as I would like I might get a permit. Our next door neighbor built and entire garage with no permit, pools have gone in etc. etc. in our area of georgia. Our own house has a entire room not accounted for anywhere in the docs, but alas it IS there....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks