Yellow water from new electric water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

johngaul

Reaction score
I replaced the 38 gallon lowboy electric water heater in a rental condo in preparation to sell. I am getting yellowish water from the new unit even after filling it and draining it twice. Is this normal to get yellowish water from a new unit?

Also having the yellow on the cold when the new heater is filled, even with hot supply to heater turned off. In reading another post it sounds like this may be a problem with the single lever shower(moen) faucet. Could the valve insert be in backwards or is this a pipe connection issue? I have not changed any plumbing yet have replaced the valve internals within the past couple years.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not really normal to have yellow water but if old galv. pipes have been disturbed they should settle down and the water should clear.

The Moen valve depending on the valve will either need the stem of the cartridge inverted 180 degrees, or, the cartridge rotated 180 degrees.

johngaul

Reaction score
pipes are copper, would it be unusual to just get a bad water heater, maybe rusted inside for some reason?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you close the water heater valve and turn on the cold water anywhere in the condo and yellow water is coming out of the cold side there is a problem with the water coming into the condo.

Check with neighbors and see if they are having the same problem.

Look and see if you plumbed the water heater backwards...the cold and hot are marked on the top of the heater.

Turn the power off to the heater, and turn on the hot water in the tub and let it run for an hour.

It is possible but not likely you have a bad heater.

Is it yellow or reddish appearing as yellow...

Fill a glass and let it sit and see if it settles to the bottom.

johngaul

Reaction score
I will check to make sure I plumbed the heater correctly. The cold is clear with the heater valve off(and drained). With heater valve off and heater full, the cold is yellow. I believe this to be an isue with a shower valve in backwards, I will hopefully check that today.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Shower valve in backwards doesn't = yellow water...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is the valve in backward or is the cartridge in backward?

A backward cartridge does not = yellow water.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If this does not go away the only thing I can think of, and I have never seen it before, is some how an unlined tank came through.

johngaul

Reaction score
The valve could possibly be in backwards which I have read could mix hot with cold, which would explain why the yelloe water from the heater is seen in the cold even with the heater valve off.

Thans for all the replies, this gives me a place to start if I make it there today.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks