Switching from "indirect" to electric water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

5:05 WW

Reaction score
The water heater in my new home is leaking and needs to be replaced. The current system seems a bit unusual.
It's an 80gal electric heater but it's being used as an indirect tank. It appears the coil and heating elements have been removed and they installed nipples where the elements were and have it piped to the mod con boiler, there is a circulating pump and heat exchanger inline as well.
I'm thinking about replacing it with a typical electric or hybrid with a heat pump but am concerned about the boiler.
If I cap the lines from the boiler and leave the circulator and heat exchanger, will that cause any issues with the boiler? Boiler is Munchkin Contender MC80
The other option is to get a new electric heater and install it the same way as is now, using it as an "indirect tank".
Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt its a typical electric tank with the modifications you describe. The in and out on the side connect to a coil that the boiler runs hot water through to heat the tank full of water. The two waters are separated because boiler water is non-potable.

I doubt as well that your boiler will care that you've capped off the domestic water heater load.

Hybrid heat pump will love the ambient heat in that room too. And if you duct it in a certain way you can gain additional AC cooling in the summer from the waste air.

5:05 WW

Reaction score
I doubt its a typical electric tank with the modifications you describe. The in and out on the side connect to a coil that the boiler runs hot water through to heat the tank full of water. The two waters are separated because boiler water is non-potable.

I doubt as well that your boiler will care that you've capped off the domestic water heater load.

Hybrid heat pump will love the ambient heat in that room too. And if you duct it in a certain way you can gain additional AC cooling in the summer from the waste air.
Thank you for your reply. It is definitely an electric water heater. GE - Model #: SE80T12TAH - It's about 16 years old. There is no power connected to it and as I mentioned there is a pump and heat exchanger in between the boiler and tank. I was talking about capping off the pipes from the boiler to the tank and then installing a new electric tank or hybrid.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks