Yard Hydrant Installation: different types of flex pipe that could be used with barb

Users who are viewing this thread

itr674

Reaction score
I'm installing so Yard Hydrants and want to try some sort of flexible pipe that could be used with barb fitting and PVC. What type of flex pipe could be used underground?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; be sure your hydrants do not have a burried waste

The reason for using a hydrant is because it is a freezing area, and therefore it MUST have a "buried waste/drain" to remove the water from the riser. I have NEVER heard of any 'yard" hydrants, (not fire hydrants), which do NOT have a drain opening at the bottom.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The waste creates a contamination hazard, especially in wet area's so the hydrant needs to have a back flow protection device and be protected from freezing. The BFP can't be installed in a box in the ground either.

itr674

Reaction score
I an paraplgic so my goal was to have it so I could keep an I on them for leaks and make it easy to change if there was a leak. So have used three five gallon buckets screwed together with 3" schedule 40 on the center and the buckets are filled with rock. The yard hydrant (HY) is slipped down the center with a flexible pipe that comes out the end. there is 2" pvc going about 12" to a square box with a ball valve shut off. the water will drain into a 6" x 10" (bottom area of the bottom two buckets) and into very sandy soil. I live in a rural area and not hearing much about not being able to do this....

itr674

Reaction score

Might see if I can find a BDV-Auto Drain Valve today.

http://www.freezeflow.com/pages/winterizing_info.htm

Some hydrants now have a chamber that allows the exposed section to drain into it, then when you turn the hydrant on it clears the chamber through a venturi.

Looked at these but again they are high dollar. thought about making my own venturi but need to get these in today.

Might just go back to my ole standby. Put two two 2x4s together, cut out the second one for 3/4" pipe, add a third one on top, drill hole for bib, bury in ground. Had one our on the edge of woods for twenty years and get water out of it in middle of winter--of curse we're in NC...

What is the difference in a check valve and backflow preventor, I think I will at least put check valves at every spot...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The BFP MUST be provided at the source of the water. There is NO WAY to give BFP at the hydrant and still allow drainage from the riser to eliminate freezing and rupture. A BFP on the hydrant's outlet would retain the water, and anything underground, (which would be illegal according to ALL codes), would be subject to possible contamination. Any small leak from the hydrant would NOT be visible because it would immediately flow out of the underground drain opening. But, it appears that this whole discussion is academic, because this person is creating his own version of a "hydrant", and possibly making it more difficult than necessary.

Last edited:

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I live in a rural area and not hearing much about not being able to do this....

Where is your water source, well or city? If its your own well then your only contaminating your water but if on city you could contaminate other peoples water. The AHJ will not give you a call and proactivly inform you of their Cross Connection Control program. Its up to you to check with them before installing this.

itr674

Reaction score
I taking the hydrants back for refund--this is to complicated.

On county water. Called inspectors when I started all this and they said they didn't deal with anything in the yard, but decided to google this to ensure I don't contaminate anyones water.

I will just got to my ole standby no-freeze way and put cutoffs at each point so I can cut them off in the winter...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks