Wye Setup for Laundry Sink and Possible Standpipe - Renewing 90 YO CI Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

JHZR2

Reaction score
This is a continuation of the thread here:
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?53033-90-yo-cast-iron-sewer-pipe-in-basement-leaking

Where Im replacing my CI drain because of cracking. I need to figure out the fittings to set it up correctly, and I thought that was deservant of a new thread.

Ill start by saying that the old CI system worked perfectly everywhere. Everything always drained fast and well with no noise, backflow, or issues of any kind. Never had a clog or a concern of any sort (knock on wood).

The run Im replacing only had one wye for the laundry tub, and then a screw-in cleanout fitting. Specifically the wye:

DSCF0050.jpg

And the cleanout as I was demoing it:

2A9E8448-ABB1-4C80-AF0F-C75E0325E64A-2506-00000243D2BD846C_zpsd5cb52db.jpg

Ive been doing a ton of searching and reading, and it seems that the setup as seen there for the wye is illegal because there is no dedicated vent. However the drain of the sink woks perfect, and when the laundry dumped into it, there were never any issues.

As a back of the envelope schematic, the house is set up like this:

24c404f5-024b-4ae5-b93a-4c4f07e8e02c_zps195d64b0.jpg

The house has one roof vent for the entire system, coming off the main stack at the left end of the picture. That one goes up two stories, the toilet stack just to the right of it goes up one story.

So, I assume that if I plumb in a wye, horizontally oriented to take the laundry sink as-is (we have replaced the lead trap with a plastic one due to leaking), everything will continue to be as it always has. So my questions:

1) If I wanted to add a standpipe as a separate 2" connection to the horizontal run via a combo wye (just downstream of where the sink connects), am I risking failure of the system? Obviously there is no new vent to be added without essentially demolishing the entire side of my house.

2) I plan to add a cleanout fitting where the old one is. I have read that one shall NOT use a 4x4x4 sanitary Tee with a cleanout fitting attached to it. I have found a test tee at HD:

HDTestTee_zpsa3e92b16.jpg

Can this be installed in a horizontal position?

Thanks again for your advisement!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks