Would you take a Well-x-trol tank over a Wellmate even in a tropical environment

Users who are viewing this thread

Boyblue

Reaction score
The life expectancy of a galvanized tank is 3 to 5 years that being said would you take a better built Well-x-trol tank over the cannot rust Wellmate?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Are you considering a hydro-pneumatic tank over a diaphragm tank? My WellMate hydro-pneumatic tank was installed in '98 and I only replaced the AVC on it once. I probably could have cleaned it but didn't want to be without water for a few days while it soaked in solution.

Not sure about running a ventilator. I think the more air you take out the more humid air it brings in. I would just insulate the tank so it doesn't sweat.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I've never seen a galvanized bladder of diaphragm tank. I'm not too fond of the bag of air design on the WM. While the bag is replaceable, it has got to be quite a chore to do so.

Reach4

Reaction score
I've never seen a galvanized bladder of diaphragm tank. I'm not too fond of the bag of air design on the WM.
:rolleyes:
While the bag is replaceable, it has got to be quite a chore to do so.
I watched a couple Youtube videos in Spanish. Looked medium. I am pretty sure the people had done it before. But yes, it is more fiddling than a pro would want. It looked to me as if the replacement bladder came packaged with a little tube of silicone grease that did not get used during the video. I would grease the seals top and bottom if I were doing it.

Boyblue

Reaction score
I've never seen a galvanized bladder of diaphragm tank. I'm not too fond of the bag of air design on the WM. While the bag is replaceable, it has got to be quite a chore to do so.
I was using the galvanized tank as a point of reference in terms of how fast things rust. Reach4's link is the tank I was thinking about for my parent's house which is next to me; but after I thought about it, we have a backup generator so they'll just get water from us.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The bag design of the Well Mate won't last as long as the diaphragm design of the WellX. The WellX may rust on the outside but the Well Mate won't last on the inside.

When underground vaults are used for pumping equipment the condensation is so bad it rains on you from the ceiling of the vault. We put an air intake on one side and a fan venting out on the other side of the vault and it keeps the moisture out.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I prefer the flexcon brand composite tank. It is composite and won't rust like the well mate, however it uses a diaphram like the wel x trol instead of the bladder bag of the well mate.

Interestingly though the bladder bag of the wellmate doesn't stretch, it collapses as the water goes out, from the air pressure on the outside, between the bladder and the out side shell of the tank

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Interestingly though the bladder bag of the wellmate doesn't stretch, it collapses as the water goes out, from the air pressure on the outside, between the bladder and the out side shell of the tank
I thought the air was inside the bag and the water surrounded it? Either way the expanding and collapsing of the bag forms creases which lead to eventual failure. A diaphragm on the other hand rolls back and forth smoothly like turning a sock inside out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks