Would you believe a 17" rough-in?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by hootheet, Feb 13, 2009.

1. hootheet

hootheet New Member

We're newbies trying to replace a toilet in a guest bathroom (house built circa 1985). Just discovered that the rough-in is nearly 17" -- the gap was hidden by a now-gone banjo-type vanity top. Is a one-piece toilet our only/best choice, with some decorating trick to not feel like it's in the middle of the room? Would a 2-piece with a 14" rough-in do the trick, or is that still too far from the wall? Thanks for any thoughts.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Almost any toilet has some gap behind it when installed per the specs, so even with a 14" rough-in toilet, you'd have over 3" of gap behind it. So, what may be best is to either move the flange, or build a shelf or bump-out behind it. If you bought a 12", you could do a 2x4 studwall with drywall on it and have a reasonable sized gap. Now, some people like a gap there.
  3. hootheet

hootheet New Member

Moving the flange is not a practical option for us, but we've considered building a bump-out. I don't strongly object to the gap (good for getting a paint roller behind!) but we were warned about a 2-piece toilet that "someone will eventually lean back on the tank and it'll snap right off" -- with ensuing shattered porcelain disaster. If that's not a serious concern with a 3 - 5" gap, we can solve it cosmetically, I guess.
    Anyway, many thanks.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I really don't think you would have much worry about a two piece toilet breaking, but one piece toilets are very nice. I also appreciate the reluctance in moving the flange, although I believe that would be the best option in the long term. My primary reasoning is that there are fewer options in toilets that have a 14" rough-in and this is something that once you do it, will be what you will live with forever. I suppose a "bump out" could be satisfactory, but hard to say without actually seeing the room. An offset flange would lose a little bit of the space behind the tank, but some pros are not too fond of them.
  5. TedL

TedL New Member

Again, whether it works appearance-wise is a ???????, but-
    You could go for a 12" rough and use the 5" to provide storage space (shelving, cabinet). You can never have too much storage space:D.
  6. hootheet

hootheet New Member

Thanks, all. Still contemplating the options, but I appreciate your help. :)