Wondering about this grounding thing

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
I have been in houses that have added a single ground wire from every outllet back to the breaker box. And I have been in houses and apartments that have spent thousands on re wire jobs for ground.
What is the difference between the 2 ways that ultimately lead to the same end result. A proper ground.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Biggest reason for a rewire is that a lot of the older wire had insulation that does not withstand heat and time as well as today's wire does. We also use WAY more electrically-powered devices than many homes were originally built for.

Having properly grounded appliances and fixtures has a safety benefit but is not the solution to life, the universe, and everything.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are a lot of issues in play here. But one easy and code approved method to increase the safety of an older house is to replace the outlets with GFCI receptacles. This does not add a ground, but it DOES provide protection from shocks. Each GFCI receptacle actually includes a sticker to attach which says something like "not a grounded outlet".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks