Wiring help for boiler and system circulators

Users who are viewing this thread

BeerM3

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm trying to discern if i have the attached wiring correctly figured out. The goal is to move to primary / secondary piping and for the system circulator to operate independent of the boiler circulator. Last winter the cast iroin radiators (and there's a lot of 'em) averaged around a 90d temp to hold the house at a steady 68d with outdoor temps in the 20's. Because they're oversized the boiler is short cycling and not always reaching the 140-170d water temp it needs to. Components are:
  • Burnham Series 2
  • Cast Iron radiators
  • Single zone gravity conversion with upstairs radiators controlled with thermostatic valves
  • primary / secondary pumping with additional circulator for IHW

My thinking is to use a TACO SR501OR to take control of the system circulator and a relay for the boiler circ. (see attached markup of Burnham's wiring diagram). It make no difference to me if the IHW is wired to the Burnham or Taco controls as it seems it would work the same either way so long as the Burnham control is set for priority.

Is this a logical approach or is the addition of the ODR not worth the extra cost? Alternatively could Zone 2 be wired to control the system circulator via an aquastat so that it's circulating water around the system if it's at least say 85d or warmer?

Schematic for multiple zone from Burnham
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...xhibit%201.jpg
Reconfigured for ODR
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...xhibit%202.jpg

Thanks for any help. I'd bet good money I'm making this harder than it should be!

BeerM3

Reaction score
Well upon further study it occurs to me the 503 relay is completely unnecessary in this scenario. Because i only have one boiler/system circulator and one DHW circulator by wiring the stat to the ODR RW and XX terminals and then to the boiler TT it's accomplished what i need. The ODR now controls the secondary loop circulator and the boiler gets re-wired to the newly added primary loop/boiler circulator. At least i think i got that right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks