winterize bladder tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by gbutts, Nov 8, 2012.

1. gbutts

gbutts New Member

this summer replaced my old pressure tank with a new bladder tank - am very happy with the smaller size but have one question on how to winterize it. Have been draining the system for the winter for 20 years with no issues despite leaving property with no heat and 20 below temperatures. One concern I now have is how to handle the bladder in the tank when I drain the system - should I release the air pressure after draining the system or leave it with the 38 lbs of pressure?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Leave the air in the tank. The air will actually push the water out so the tank won't freeze. You just need to make sure all the pipe is drained.