Will the shower vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Renovacation

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for input to see if I can save more work. Doing renos in an old home for the basement bathroom. Had an inspection done for the work I'd done to move the existing toilet rough in off the wall to get a 12" rough-in, kept everything pretty much the same, and was failed as I needed to have the shower vented. Didn't realize I needed to fix work previously done (probably in the 1960's), so here I am.

The attached picture is top down of the under slab pipes.

If I splice into the 4" CI line in the highlighted/circled section (right after the wye) to add the vent would this protect the shower trap? Ideally I would like to put the vent takeoff in the shower drain section before the wye that the other plumbing fixtures are feeding into, but it's below the finished shower (that I'd like to keep).

Thanks and any advice much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 155

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A vent there would "look good" but do nothing. Technically, you cannot wet vent the toilet with a drainage line from upstairs, the floor drain is not vented, and tub/shower vent would have to be vented off the 2" line, but NOT with a sanitary tee. All the vents would have to be done properly, not just "stick a tee in the line and call it good".

Renovacation

Reaction score
A vent there would "look good" but do nothing. Technically, you cannot wet vent the toilet with a drainage line from upstairs, the floor drain is not vented, and tub/shower vent would have to be vented off the 2" line, but NOT with a sanitary tee. All the vents would have to be done properly, not just "stick a tee in the line and call it good".

Thanks hj for the feedback. Could you please help me understand why to not use a sanitary tee to connect the vent vertically off the horizontal portion by the shower?

I've updated the layout to move the 3" w/c drain past the current CI wye fitting to accommodate adding the dry vent for the shower. Will use a wye fitting to bring the dry vent up for the shower. Also will try to fit a 4" clean out in this section for future maintenance.

I understand that I can have a 3" drain without a vent (Canada code).

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bsmt DWV Layout 2.JPG
    Bsmt DWV Layout 2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 130
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks