Will a nicked copper pipe ever leak?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by yakman, Jul 5, 2009.

1. yakman

yakman New Member

Hello,

If one were to nick the hot water copper pipe with a hand saw while removing the surrounding stud, :eek: and it does not leak now, does that mean forever no leak?

Thanks,

Doug
  2. inspectorgene

inspectorgene New Member

I ain't no plumber, but I wouldn't bet on it-depending on the size of the nick, of course.

I would [at least] put a pipe repair band on it as a precaution before sealing the wall back up.

YMMV

3. yakman

yakman New Member

pipe repair band? Hadn't seen one of those before. Google search found a 1/2" x 3" stainless steel band with a neoprene liner and tightening bolt attached to it. Is this what you're talking about?

I suppose the neoprene sleeve would support the nicked wall.

The best way to solve this is probably to cut on the nicked surface and couple right there with a soldered joint.

Is a nicked no leak pipe stronger than a coupled soldered pipe?:confused:

Thanks,

Doug
  4. patch it with solder

you can cut it if you so wish and put a sharkbite or coupling
    in the line

One easy way is to
    drain the pipes and simply put a patch of
    solder over nick in the pipe

you can actually repair a frozen split copper pipe
    bending it back together and soldering it shut....

so it is no big deal to just put a thick layer of solder
    over the place you are worried about...