Why does my nickel bathroom sink drain have rust around it?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kenfused, Jul 11, 2011.

1. kenfused

kenfused New Member

At my house, 2 of the 3 Kohler brushed nickel drain (collar/trim) develop rust.
    The 3rd one stays clean. What is the cause of the rust?
    they are relatively new (~7 years) and the sinks are porcelain.
    Someone was telling me it could be an installation issue, or excess plumbers putty causing an issue of water buildup around the drain collar, but that does not seem to make sense to me.

would it be from an abrasive cleaner that damaged the nickel finish?
    would removing the old collar and putting a new one solve the rust problem?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The pieces are plated brass, which does not "rust" so the source must be somewhere else. The sinks may be "porcelain", but are they porcelain over pressed steel?

[​IMG]
    Rust on top

[​IMG]
    Rust on the bottom
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  3. Robert Walser

Robert Walser New Member

I have the same issue, in my case the rust is the sink itself, rusted cast iron coming up from below and staining the chromed drain, it looks a bit "low-rent" ...